Physician Assistant: A Guide to Clinical Practice Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Prepare for every stage of your physician assistant career with Physician Assistant: A Guide to Clinical Practice, 5th Edition - the one text that takes you from your PA coursework through clinical practice! Concise, easy to read, and highly visual, this all-in-one resource by Ruth Ballweg, Edward M. Sullivan, Darwin Brown, and Daniel Vetrosky delivers the current, practical guidance you need to know to succeed in any setting.
- Master all the core competencies you need to know for certification or recertification.
- Access the entire text and illustrations online at www.expertconsult.com.
- Navigate today's professional challenges with new chapters on NCCPA Specialty Recognition; Communication Issues; the Electronic Health Record; Patient Safety and Quality of Care; Population-Based Practice; and Physician Assistants and Supervision.
- Meet ARC-PA accreditation requirements with coverage of key topics such as Student Safety in Clinical Settings, Health Care Delivery Systems, Population-Based Practice, and Mass Casualties/Disasters.
- Keep up with the PA competencies that are endorsed by the AAPA, PAEA, NCCPA, and ARC-PA.
- Master key concepts and clinical applications thanks to a succinct, bulleted writing style; convenient tables; practical case studies; and clinical application questions throughout.
- Retain what you’ve learned and easily visualize every aspect of clinical practice with a new full-color design and illustrations throughout.
- Explore global options with expanded coverage of physician assistants in international medicine.
SECTION I OVERVIEW
1 HISTORY OF THE PROFESSION AND CURRENT TRENDS
2 INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT PROFESSION
4 CREDENTIALING: ACCREDITATION, CERTIFICATION, LICENSING,
5 NATIONAL COMMISSION ON CERTIFICATION OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS SPECIALTY RECOGNITION: CERTIFICATE OF ADDED QUALIFICATIONS
6 FINANCING AND REIMBURSEMENT
7 THE POLITICAL PROCESS
SECTION II MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE
8 EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE
9 RESEARCH AND THE PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
10 SAFETY IN CLINICAL SETTINGS
11 CLINICAL PROCEDURES
12 GENETICS IN PRIMARY CARE
13 CHRONIC CARE PERSPECTIVES
14 PHARMACOLOGY: THE USE OF MEDICATIONS
15 COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
SECTION III INTERPERSONAL AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
16 COMMUNICATION ISSUES
17 ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORD
18 USING CONSULTANTS AND COMMUNITY RESOURCES
SECTION IV PATIENT CARE
19 HEALTH PROMOTION, DISEASE PREVENTION, AND PATIENT EDUCATION
20 FAMILY MEDICINE
21 INTERNAL MEDICINE
22 EMERGENCY MEDICINE
24 OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
26 GERIATRIC MEDICINE
27 BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE AND MEDICINE: ESSENTIALS IN PRACTICE
28 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS IN HOSPITAL MEDICINE
32 INFECTIOUS DISEASE
33 OCCUPATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE
SECTION V PROFESSIONALISM
35 CLINICAL ETHICS
36 MEDICAL MALPRACTICE AND RISK MANAGEMENT
37 POSTGRADUATE RESIDENCY PROGRAMS
38 DEALING WITH STRESS AND BURNOUT
SECTION VI PRACTICE-BASED LEARNING AND IMPROVEMENT
39 HEALTH DISPARITIES
40 PATIENT SAFETY AND QUALITY OF CARE
41 POPULATION-BASED HEALTH
SECTION VII SYSTEMS-BASED PRACTICE
42 HEALTH CARE DELIVERY SYSTEMS
43 REHABILITATIVE AND LONG-TERM CARE SYSTEMS
44 HEALTH CARE FOR HOMELESS POPULATIONS
45 CORRECTIONAL MEDICINE
46 MILITARY MEDICINE
47 INNER-CITY HEALTH CARE
48 RURAL HEALTH CARE
49 INTERNATIONAL HEALTH CARE
50 PATIENTS WITH DISABILITIES
51 END-OF-LIFE ISSUES
52 MASS CASUALTY AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
53 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS AND SUPERVISION
Edward M. Sullivan, MS, PA-C, Physician Assistant, J. Kirkland Grant Obstetrics and Gynecology Practice, Mesquite, TX, Darwin Brown, MPH, PA-C, DFAAPA, Physician Assistant Educator, Omaha, Nebraska and Daniel Vetrosky, PA-C, PhD, DFAAPA, Associate Professor (Ret.) and Part Time Instructor, University of South Alabama, Department of Physician Assistant Studies, Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions, Mobile, Alabama