Written by foremost experts in the field, the 3rd Edition of Essential Clinical Procedures presents the latest common diagnostic and treatment-related procedures that you need to know as a physician assistant! Clear and concise, this medical reference book leads you step-by-step through over 70 techniques commonly seen in primary care and specialist settings, equipping you to deliver the best and safest care to your patients.
- Visualize procedures and other important concepts clearly through over 300 high-quality illustrations.
- Ensure the safe execution of procedures with a focus on patient preparation and the proper use of instruments, as well as highlighted warnings to alert you to potential dangers that can occur when performing various treatments.
- Be fully prepared for any situation with guidance on the possible complications, rationales, and precautions behind many common procedures.
- Understand the ins and outs of nonprocedural issues, including informed consent, standard precautions, patient education, and procedure documentation.
- Get all the hands-on guidance you need to provide safe and effective care to your patients with Essential Clinical Procedures!
- Understand the "must-know" aspects of the most commonly seen conditions with a systematic presentation featuring consistent headings and supporting color images.
- Quickly access core information through high-yield margin notes and consistent formatting across all chapters.
- Stay abreast of the latest procedures with a brand-new chapter and images on Reduction of the Shoulder/Finger Subluxations, plus many other updates throughout.
- Access the fully searchable text online at www.expertconsult.com!
1. Informed Consent
2. Standard Precautions
3. Sterile Technique
4. Blood Pressure Measurement
6. Obtaining Blood Cultures
7. Inserting Intravenous Catheters
8. Arterial Puncture
10. Recording an Electrocardiogram
11. Exercise Stress Testing for the Primary Care Provider
12. Endotracheal Intubation
13. Office Pulmonary Function Testing
14. Nasogastric Tube Placement
15. Lumbar Puncture
16. Urinary Bladder Catheterization
17. Clinical Breast Examination
18. The Pelvic Examination and Obtaining a Routine Papanicolaou’s Smear
19. Examination of the Male Genitalia
20. Joint and Bursal Aspiration
21. Casting and Splinting
22. Local Anesthesia
23. Wound Closure
24. Dermatologic Procedures
25. Incision and Drainage of an Abscess
26. Wound Dressing Techniques
28. Treating Ingrown Toenails
29. Draining Subungual Hematomas
31. Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
32. Removal of Cerumen and Foreign Bodies from the Ear
33. Corneal Abrasion and Ocular Foreign Body Removal
34. Endometrial Biopsy
35. Foot Examination of the Diabetic Patient
36. Procedural Sedation
37. Patient Education Concepts
38. Outpatient Coding
40. Giving Sad and Bad News