Mastering Healthcare Terminology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Gain the knowledge of medical language you need to succeed in class and in your healthcare career! Mastering Healthcare Terminology, 5th Edition covers medical terms and definitions in small chunks — easy-to-follow learning segments — followed immediately by exercises and review questions that reinforce your understanding. From well-known educator Betsy Shiland, this book includes realistic case studies to help you apply your knowledge to practice. And because Shiland users love the case studies and medical records, more than 70 new case studies with review questions have been added to this edition, along with extra case studies on the Evolve companion website. Now with new mobile-optimized quizzes and flash cards that make it easy to study terms while on the go, this popular introduction to healthcare language enables you to communicate clearly and confidently with other members of the healthcare team.
- Quick-reference format makes it easier to learn terminology by presenting terms in tables — including word origin, definition, and pronunciation.
- Frequent word part and word building exercises reinforce your understanding with immediate opportunities for practice and review.
- A total of 460 illustrations includes additional new photos showing difficult terms and procedures.
- A breakdown of A&P terms appears in page margins next to the related text, helping you learn and memorize word parts in context.
- Convenient spiral binding lets the book lay flat, making it easy to work on exercises.
- UNIQUE! ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes are provided in the pathology terminology tables for a better understanding of medical coding.
- An Evolve companion website includes medical animations, audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, electronic flash cards, and word games such as Wheel of Terminology, Terminology Triage, and Whack a Word Part.
- Coverage of electronic medical records prepares you for using EHR in the healthcare setting.
- NEW! 70 new case studies provide more opportunity to see terminology in use.
- NEW! Mobile-optimized quick quizzes and flash cards allow you to practice terminology while on the go.
- NEW terms and procedures keep you up to date with advances in healthcare.
- NEW Normal Lab Values appendix provides a quick reference as you work through case studies and medical reports.
1. Introduction to Healthcare Terminology
2. Body Structure and Directional Terminology
Body System Terminology
3. Musculoskeletal System
4. Integumentary System
5. Gastrointestinal System
6. Urinary System
7. Male Reproductive System
8. Female Reproductive System and Pregnancy
9. Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems
10. Cardiovascular System
11. Respiratory System
12. Nervous System
13. Eye and Ear
14. Endocrine System
15. Mental and Behavioral Health
A: Word Parts and Definitions
B: Definitions and Word Parts
D: Normal Lab Values
Answers to Exercises
Betsy J. Shiland, MS, RHIA, CCS, CPC, CPHQ, CTR, CHDA, CPB, AHIMA ICD-10-CM/PCS Academy Trainer
Allied Health Department
Community College of Philadelphia