Anatomy & Physiology (includes A&P Online course), 9th Edition
No other two-semester A&P text rivals Anatomy & Physiology, 9th Edition for its student-friendly writing, visually engaging content, and wide range of teaching and learning support. Focusing on the unifying themes of structure and function and homeostasis, authors Patton and Thibodeau utilize a very conversational and easy-to-follow narrative to guide you through difficult A&P material. Readers can also connect with the textbook through a number of free electronic resources, including Netter's 3D Interactive Anatomy, A&P Online, an electronic coloring book, online tutoring, and more! Just because the subject matter of A&P is complicated, doesn’t mean your textbook has to be — especially when you have Patton at your side!
- Conversational writing style makes text engaging and easy to understand.
- 11.7 Reading level is the lowest available for 2-semester A&P books.
- Free 1-year access to Netter’s 3D Interactive Anatomy, powered by Cyber Anatomy, a state-of-the-art software program that uses advanced gaming technology and interactive 3D anatomy models to learn, review, and teach anatomy.
- UNIQUE! The Clear View of the Human Body and Brief Atlas of the Human Body (packaged with the text) offer more than 100 full-color transparencies and supplemental images that cover body parts, organs, cross sections, radiography images, and histology slides.
- Numerous feature boxes including: Language of Science and Language of Medicine, Mechanisms of Disease, Health Matters, Diagnostic Study, FYI, Sport and Fitness, and Career Choices provide interesting and important sidebars to the main content.
- More than 1,400 full-color photographs and drawings illustrate the most current scientific knowledge and bring difficult concepts to life. A color key is included in the front matter to show color scheme that is used consistently throughout the book (for example, bones are off white, enzymes are lime green, nucleus is purple).
- UNIQUE! Consistent unifying themes, such as the Big Picture and Cycle of Life sections in each chapter, help you understand the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function of these change in relation to age and development.
- Quick Guide to the Language of Science and Medicine (packaged with the text) contains medical terminology and scientific terms, along with pronunciations, definitions, and word part breakdowns for terms highlighted in the text.
- Quick Check Questions reinforce learning by prompting you to review what you just read.
- Chapter outlines, chapter objectives and study tips begin each chapter.
- Outline summaries, review questions, critical thinking questions, and case studies are included at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! Reorganized content now includes the splitting of selected chapters to aid better your reading and retention.
- NEW! Introduction to Tissues and Tissue Types increases comprehension of histological concepts and improved retention of the many different tissue types that make up the body.
- NEW! Updated Career Choices spotlights now include occupational therapist and radiologic technologist among others to keep up with the evolving day-to-day world of the medical professions and to demonstrate the necessity for a solid knowledge of A&P to succeed within those fields.
- NEW! A&P Connect articles on topics such as The Human Microbiome and Body Types and Disease enable you to further enhance your learning experience with cutting-edge content on scientific developments.
UNIT ONE: The Body as a Whole 1. Organization of the Body 2. Homeostasis 3. Chemistry of Life 4. Biomolecules 5. Cell Structure 6. Cell Function 7. Cell Growth and Development 8. Introduction to Tissues 9. Tissue Types
UNIT TWO: Support and Movement 10. Skin 11. Skeletal Tissues 12. Axial Skeleton 13. Appendicular Skeleton 14. Articulations 15. Axial Muscles 16. Appendicular Muscles 17. Muscle Contraction
UNIT THREE: Communication, Control, and Integration 18. Nervous System Cells 19. Nerve Signaling 20. Central Nervous System 21. Peripheral Nervous System 22. Autonomic Nervous System 23. Physiology of Sensation 24. Special Senses 25. Endocrine Regulation 26. Endocrine Glands
UNIT FOUR: Transportation and Defense 27. Blood 28. Heart 29. Blood Vessels 30. Circulation of Blood 31. Lymphatic System 32. Innate Immunity 33. Adaptive Immunity 34. Stress
UNIT FIVE: Respiration, Nutrition and Excretion 35. Respiratory Tract 36. Ventilation 37. Gas Exchange and Transport 38. Upper Digestive Tract 39. Lower Digestive Tract 40. Digestion and Absorption 41. Nutrition and Metabolism 42. Urinary System 43. Fluid and Electrolyte Balance 44. Acid-Base Balance
UNIT SIX: Reproduction and Development 45. Male Reproductive System 46. Female Reproductive System 47. Growth and Development 48. Genetics and Heredity
Photo/Illustration Credits Index
Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor of Life Science, St. Charles Community College, Cottleville, MO, Professor of Anatomy & Physiology Instruction (adjunct), New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, NY, Emeritus Assistant Professor of Physiology, Saint Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, MO