Study Guide for Today's Medical Assistant, 3rd Edition
Corresponding to the chapters in the main Bonewit text, Study Guide for Today's Medical Assistant, Clinical & Administrative Procedures, 3rd Edition features a variety of practical exercises, activities, checklists, review questions, and more to help students master important medical assisting knowledge and skills. This comprehensive study guide has been thoroughly updated to reflect the 2015 CAAHEP competencies and key areas of practice, such as: electronic medical records, HIPAA regulations, advanced directives, emergency preparedness, ICD-10 coding, billing documentation, medical office technology, medical asepsis, vital signs, pediatric immunizations and injections, colonoscopy procedures, IV therapy, and CLIA waived tests. If you want to fully prepare today’s students for tomorrow’s medical assisting profession, then make sure to incorporate this study guide in your curriculum!
- Consistent, meticulous study guide coverage aligns seamlessly with the main Bonewit text and all other Bonewit solution learning products.
- Evaluation of Competency checklists assess readers’ performance versus stated objectives and performance standards.
- Critical thinking activities encourage readers to think outside the box and imagine what they would do in real-life situations.
- Laboratory assignments at the beginning of each chapter give readers a guide on each chapter’s procedures, including guidelines on how many practices are required, which study guide pages correlate to the procedure, and which procedures are also in the procedural videos.
- Key term assessment tests readers’ knowledge of the terms presented in the main text.
- Evaluation of Learning questions assess readers’ progress and are an excellent tool to prepare for the certification exam.
- Practice for Competency checklists help readers practice each of their clinical skills.
- Pharmacology math exercises give readers a chance to practice their basic math skills in a way that relates to their future job.
- Chapter assignment tables at the beginning of each chapter guide readers through the textbook and study guide chapters, and provides a great tracking device for recording progress of textbook reading assignments and study guide activity assignments.
- NEW! Updated material aligned to most current CAAHEP and ABHES competencies ensures success and employability for today’s medical assistants.
- NEW! Material from the chapter on nutrition is also incorporated into the accompanying study guide material.
- NEW! Updated content on emergency preparedness and medical records ensure readers are up-to-date on these key topics.
- NEW! Application to SimChart for the Medical Office where appropriate allows readers to prepare for the real world by working on Elsevier’s own educational EHR.
- NEW! Expanded A&P key terminology sections give readers ample A&P key term practice.
SECTION 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting 1. The Health Care System 2. The Professional Medical Assistant 3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office 4. Interacting with Patients
SECTION 2: Anatomy and Physiology 5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 6. Integumentary System 7. Skeletal System 8. Muscular System 9. Nervous System 10. The Senses 11. Endocrine System 12. Circulatory System 13. Respiratory System 14. Digestive System 15. Urinary System 16. Reproductive System
SECTION 3: Clinical Component 17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard 18. Sterilization and Disinfection 19. Vital Signs 20. The Physical Examination 21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures 22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing 23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care 24. The Pediatric Examination 25. Minor Office Surgery 26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy 27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures 28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures: Colon Procedures, Male Reproductive Health, and Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging 29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 30. Urinalysis 31. Phlebotomy 32. Hematology 33. Blood Chemistry and Immunology 34. Medical Microbiology 35. Nutrition NEW! 36. Emergency Preparedness and Protective Practices (*completely revamped*) 37. Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
SECTION 4: Administrative Component 38. The Medical Record (*completely revamped*) 39. Patient Reception 40. Medical Office Computerization 41. Telephone Techniques 42. Scheduling Appointments 43. Medical Records Management 44. Written Communications 45. Mail 46. Managing Practice Finances 47. Medical Coding 48. Medical Insurance 49. Billing and Collections 50. The Medical Assistant as Office Manager 51. Obtaining Employment
Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants, Sue Hunt, MA, RN, CMA (AAMA), Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA and Edith Applegate, MS, Professor of Sciences and Mathematics, Kettering College of Medical Arts, Kettering, OH