Cellular and Molecular Immunology Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Popular for its highly visual, straightforward approach, Cellular and Molecular Immunology delivers an accessible yet thorough understanding of this active and fast-changing field. Drs. Abul K. Abbas, Andrew H. Lichtman, and Shiv Pillai present key updates in this new edition to cover the latest developments in antigen receptors and signal transduction in immune cells, mucosal and skin immunity, cytokines, leukocyte-endothelial interaction, and more. With additional online features, this is an ideal resource for medical, graduate and undergraduate students of immunology who need a clear, introductory text for immunology courses.
- Develop a thorough, clinically relevant understanding of immunology through a clear overview of immunology with a distinct focus on the management of human disease.
- Visualize immunologic processes more effectively. Meticulously developed and updated illustrations, 3-dimensional art, and all-new online animations provide a detailed, visual description of the key immunologic and molecular processes.
- Grasp the details of experimental observations that form the basis for the science of immunology at the molecular, cellular, and whole-organism levels and draw the appropriate conclusions.
- Find information more quickly and easily through an organized chapter structure and a more logical flow of material.
- Access to StudentConsult and Evolve provides a rich online experience for students and instructors alike including searchable content, question banks, animations, and more.
- Glean all essential, up-to-date, need-to-know information about immunology and molecular biology through extensive updates that cover cytokines, innate immunity, leukocyte-endothelial interactions, signaling, costimulation, and more.
- Benefit from numerous new figures and tables that facilitate easier retention of the material; quick summaries of each chapter; and nearly 400 illustrations that clarify key concepts.
1. Properties and Overview of Immune Responses, 1
2. Cells and Tissues of the Immune System, 13
3. Leukocyte Circulation and Migration into Tissues, 35
4. Innate Immunity, 51
5. Antibodies and Antigens, 87
6. Major Histocompatibility Complex Molecules and Antigen Presentation to T Lymphocytes, 107
7. Immune Receptors and Signal Transduction, 137
8. Lymphocyte Development and Antigen Receptor Gene Rearrangement, 171
9. Activation of T Lymphocytes, 199
10. Differentiation and Functions of CD4+ Effector T Cells, 213
11. Differentiation and Functions of CD8+ Effector T Cells, 231
12. B Cell Activation and Antibody Production, 239
13. Effector Mechanisms of Humoral Immunity, 265
14. Specialized Immunity at Epithelial Barriers and in Immune Privileged Tissues, 289
15. Immunologic Tolerance and Autoimmunity, 315
16. Immunity to Microbes, 339
17. Transplantation Immunology, 359
18. Immunity to Tumors, 383
19. Hypersensitivity Disorders, 399
20. Allergy, 417
21. Congenital and Aquired Immunodeficiencies, 437
Appendix I. Glossary, 465
Appendix II. Cytokines, 493
Appendix III. Principle Features of Selected CD Molecules, 497
Appendix IV. Laboratory Techniques Commonly Used in Immunology, 503
Abul K. Abbas, MBBS, Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, Andrew H. H. Lichtman, MD, PhD, Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts and Shiv Pillai, MBBS, PhD, Professor of Medicine and Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Medical School, Ragon Institute of Massachusetts General Hospital, MIT and Harvard, Boston, Massachusetts