Master the surgical techniques needed to treat large animals! A comprehensive resource, Farm Animal Surgery, 2nd Edition provides clear, step-by-step guidelines to performing common, field-tested surgical procedures. Coverage includes key information such as patient examination and preparation, diagnostic imaging, surgical procedures by body system, anesthesia concerns, fluid therapy, and postoperative management. Written by large animal specialists Susan Fubini and Norm Ducharme, along with a team of expert contributors, this resource is also an invaluable tool in preparing for ACVS or ECVS board exams.
- Consistent, logical organization makes it easy to find important information, with each section devoted to a single animal and chapters organized by body system.
- Step-by-step guidelines cover bovine, sheep and goat, and swine surgeries by body system.
- 775 full-color photographs and anatomic drawings illustrate common disorders, techniques, and equipment for large animal surgery.
- Up-to-date information on key surgical techniques keeps you aware of advances in the field and practical knowledge of animal care.
- 35 expert contributors provide a diverse, authoritative perspective on the many aspects of large animal surgery.
- References are provided for very specialized procedures.
- NEW surgical procedures are included for each species — many with illustrated, step-by-step instructions.
- NEW coverage of the physical examination includes cow, swine, goats, and sheep, to facilitate more accurate diagnoses of medical or surgical conditions.
Part One: General Considerations to All Species
1. Examination of the Surgical Patient
2. Diagnostic Imaging
3. Pre-Surgical Considerations
4. Fluid Therapy
5. Sedation, General Anesthesia, and Analgesia
6. Surgical Considerations: Instrumentation, Basic Surgical Tips, Suture Materials, and Suture Patterns
7. Postoperative Management