The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing, 2015 Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),
Moving on to advanced medical coding is easy with Carol J. Buck's proven, step-by-step method! The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing, 2015 Edition helps you master coding skills for services such as medical visits, diagnostic testing and interpretation, treatments, surgeries, and anesthesia. Real-world patient cases give you hands-on practice with advanced, physician-based coding. Enhance your decision-making skills and learn to confidently pull the right information from medical documents, select the right codes, determine the correct sequencing of those codes, properly audit cases, and prepare for the transition to ICD-10 with the help of coding author and educator Carol Buck!
- Dual coding addresses the transition to ICD-10 by providing practice as well as coding answers for both ICD-9 and ICD-10.
- UNIQUE! Evaluation and Management (E/M) audit forms, developed to determine the correct E/M codes, simplify the coding process and help to ensure accuracy.
- UNIQUE! Netter anatomy illustrations in each chapter help you understand anatomy and how it affects coding.
- Realistic patient cases simulate your first year of coding by using actual medical records (with personal patient details changed or removed), allowing you to practice coding with advanced material.
- From the Trenches boxes highlight the experiences of real-life professional medical coders and include photographs, quotes, practical tips, and advice.
- Auditing cases prepare you to assign correct codes to complicated records, as well as audit records for accuracy.
- More than 180 full-color illustrations depict and clarify advanced coding concepts.
- UPDATED content includes the latest coding information available, to promote accurate coding and success on the job.
1. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
4. Pathology and Laboratory
5. Integumentary System
6. Cardiovascular System
7. Digestive System, Hemic/Lymphatic System, and Mediastinum/Diaphragm
8. Musculoskeletal System
9. Respiratory System
10. Urinary, Male Genital, and Endocrine Systems
11. Female Genital System and Maternity Care/Delivery
12. Nervous System
13. Eye and Auditory Systems
Appendix A: E/M Audit Form
Appendix B: CMS AB-01-44
Appendix C: Resources
Appendix D: Abbreviations
Appendix E: Answers to every other case
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN