Workbook for Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation, 6th Edition
Corresponding to the chapters in Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation, 6th Edition, this workbook helps readers focus their study on the most important information and prepare for the NBRC certification exam. A wide range of exercises includes crossword puzzles, critical thinking questions, NBRC-style multiple-choice questions, case studies, waveform analysis, ventilation data analysis, and fill-in-the-blank and short-answer activities.
- Close correlation with the Pilbeam's main text supports learning from the textbook.
- Wide variety of learning exercises — including crossword puzzles, NBRC-style questions, case study exercises, waveform analysis, ventilation date analyses, and numerous question formats — helps readers assess their knowledge and practice areas of weakness.
- Critical Thinking questions ask readers to solve problems relating to real-life scenarios that may be encountered in practice.
- NEW! Answer key now appears at the end of the workbook
- NEW! Graphic exercises appendix from the text is now located in the workbook for convenient access.
Part I: Basic Concepts and Core Knowledge in Mechanical Ventilation 1. Oxygenation and Acid-Base Evaluation 2. Basic Terms and Concepts of Mechanical Ventilation 3. How Ventilators Work 4. How a Breath Is Delivered
Part II: Initiating Ventilation 5. Establishing the Need for Mechanical Ventilation 6. Selecting the Ventilator and the Mode 7. Initial Ventilator Settings 8. Final Considerations in Ventilator Setup
Part III: Monitoring in Mechanical Ventilation 9. Initial Patient Assessment 10. Ventilator Graphics 11. Noninvasive Monitoring of Mechanically-Ventilated Patients 12. Hemodynamic Monitoring
Part IV: Therapeutic Interventions – Making Appropriate Changes 13. Methods to Improve Ventilation and Other Techniques in Patient-Ventilator Management 14. Improving Oxygenation, Review of ARDS, and Lung Recruitment Maneuvers 15. Frequently Used Pharmacologic Agents in Ventilated Patients: Sedatives, Analgesics and Paralytics
Part V: Effects and Complications of Mechanical Ventilation 16. Cardiovascular and Organ System Effects and Complications of Mechanical Ventilation 17. Effects of Positive Pressure Ventilation on the Pulmonary System 18. Problem-Solving and Troubleshooting
Part VI: Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation 19. Basic Concepts of Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation
Part VII: Discontinuation from Ventilation and Long-Term Ventilation 20. Weaning and Discontinuation 21. Long-Term Ventilation!
Part VIII: Special Applications of Mechanical Ventilation 22. Neonatal and Pediatric Ventilation 23. Special Techniques in Ventilatory Support
Appendices Review of Abnormal Physiological Processes Graphics Exercises Glossary Index
J. M. Cairo, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA and Sandra T Hinski, MS, RRT-NPS, Faculty
Respiratory Care Division
Gateway Community College