Medicine for the Outdoors, 6th Edition
- Examine the most diverse and comprehensive coverage of medical conditions related to the outdoors.
- Be guided through logical and complete explanations of every topic.
- Enhance your understanding with descriptive material including numerous drawings and instructions.
- Research recommendations for injury and illness prevention.
- Locate answers quickly with a helpful comprehensive index.
- Clearly visualize how to perform specific treatments, such as the use of a SAM® splint, with an increased number of helpful illustrations.
- Stay abreast of the latest in emergency medicine care, including new antibiotics, medicines, products to control bleeding, and today's most common infectious disease threats.
- Enhance your understanding of Lyme disease; water disinfection; emerging diseases (including West Nile Virus); and how to seek safety and act during natural disasters.
- Take advantage of Dr. Auerbach’s expert guidance with revised recommendations on high-altitude problems, drowning, airways management, toxic plants, and snake bites.
- Access new appendices covering AIDS/HIV transmission, expanded treatment instructions, global conflict guidelines (including terrorism), and canine medicine.
- Expert Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, references, and videos from the book on a variety of devices.
PART ONE: General Information
How to Use This Book 1
Before You Go 2
General First-Aid Principles 10
PART TWO: Major Medical Problems
An Approach to the Unconscious Victim 21
Chest Injury 39
Serious Lung Disorders 42
Chest Pain 46
Head Injury 59
Allergic Reaction 64
Fractures and Dislocations 67
Inhalation Injuries 112
Abdominal Pain 116
Emergency Childbirth 130
Infectious Diseases 137
Dealing with Death 150
PART THREE: Minor Medical Problems
General Symptoms 153
Head (Also Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat, and Mouth) 160
Upper Respiratory Disorders 189
PART FOUR: Disorders Related to Specific Environments
Injuries and Illnesses Due to Cold 281
Injuries and Illnesses Due to Heat 296
Wildland Fires 303
High Altitude–Related Problems 306
Insect and Arthropod Bites 322
Lightning Strike, Tornado (Cyclone), Hurricane (Typhoon), Flood, Earthquake, Tidal Wave (Tsunami), Landslide (Mudslide), Volcano, and Snow Avalanche 340
Hazardous Aquatic Life and Aquatic Infections 347
Underwater Diving Accidents 360
Animal Attacks 367
Wild Plant and Mushroom Poisoning 374
PART FIVE: Miscellaneous Information
Oxygen Administration 405
Water Disinfection 406
Motion Sickness 411
Jet Lag 413
First-Aid Kits 415
Transport of the Injured Victim 429
Ground-to-Air Distress Signals 442
Lost People 444
Appendix One: Commonly Used Drugs (Medications) and Doses 455
Appendix Two: Conversion Tables 476
Appendix Three: Guidelines for Prevention of Diseases Transmitted via Human
Blood and Other Bodily Fluids 481
Appendix Four: Commonly Used Applications of the SAM Splint 483
Appendix Five: Personal Safety in an Age of Global Conflict, Kidnapping, and Terrorism 497
Appendix Six: Emergency Canine Medicine 499
Glossary (Including Acronyms and Abbreviations) 502
About the Author 549
Paul S. Auerbach, MD, MS, FACEP, MFAWM, FAAEM, Redlich Family Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California