Saunders Math Skills for Health Professionals,2nd Edition
Master math principles and see how they apply to patient care! Saunders Math Skills for Health Professionals, 2nd Edition reviews and simplifies the everyday math skills you need to succeed as a healthcare professional. Practical examples show how to solve problems step by step, and clarify fundamental math principles including fractions and percentages, ratios and proportions, basic algebra, and statistics. Written by expert educator Rebecca Hickey, this edition adds a chapter on solutions and IV calculations and even more practice problems with step-by-step solutions. No other textbook makes math so friendly and so accessible!
- A workbook format lets you solve problems as you review the material.
- UNIQUE! Full-color design highlights key information and fully illustrates examples such as how to set up problems, the different parts of equations, and how to move decimal points.
- Learning objectives follow Bloom’s taxonomy, highlight the key topics in each chapter, and explain their importance in patient care.
- Chapter Outlines and Chapter Overviews serve as a framework for each chapter and explain why it is important to understand the material presented.
- EXPANDED! Example problems in each chapter use a step-by-step method for solving problems.
- Master the Skill boxes provide quizzes that let you assess your knowledge of the information in each chapter.
- Key terms that explain mathematical computations are bolded at first mention in the text and defined in the glossary.
- Spiral binding with plenty of white space allows you to write out your answers and work through problems in the book.
- NEW! Solutions and IV Calculations chapter includes topics seen in chemistry, such as calculations for IV solutions and drip rate conversions, duration and total volume of solutions, and discussions on solutes, solvents, logarithms, and pH conversions.
- NEW! Additional content includes the translation of orders written with abbreviations, use of mercury thermometers, problems involving I&O, and reading and writing prescriptions.
- NEW word problems include more Practice the Skill and more Building Confidence with the Skill exercises, helping you apply abstract mathematical concepts to real-world situations.
- NEW! More focus on graph charting is provided throughout the book.
- NEW! More Math in the Real World boxes take information that you use in your everyday life and demonstrate how the same concept can be applied in health care.
1. Basic Math Review
2. Roman Numerals and Military Time
4. Word Problems, Percentages, and Decimals
5. Ratios and Proportions
6. General Accounting
7. The Metric System
8. U.S. Customary Units and the Apothecary System
9. Application of Measurement and Dose Conversion
10. Power of 10
11. Solutions and IV Calculations NEW!
12. Introduction to Statistics
13. Graphs: Tools of Organization
Appendix: Answers to Odd-Numbered Problems for Practice the Skill and Building the Skill
Rebecca Hickey, RN, RMC, AHI, CHI, Rebecca Wallace Hickey, RN
Secondary Health Tech Instructor
Butler Technology and Career Development Schools
Fairfield Township, Ohio
Adjunct Instructor, Office Information Technology Program
University of Cincinnati - Raymond Walters Campus
Liberty Urgent Care
Liberty Township, Ohio