Procedures for the Primary Care Provider - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Confidently perform the most common office procedures with Procedures for the Primary Care Provider, 3rd Edition. This practical, spiral-bound reference provides step-by-step illustrated guidelines for basic and advanced office procedures commonly performed by Nurse Practitioners and Physician’s Assistants. Each procedure follows a consistent format including a brief description of the procedure, a review of relevant anatomy and physiology, indications and contraindications, precautions, assessment, patient preparation, treatment alternatives, a list of equipment needed, and a step-by-step illustrated procedure. This third edition features nine new procedures, new illustrations, a more user-friendly full-color design, and much more.
- Need-to-know coverage of the most common office procedures performed by NPs, PAs, and other primary care providers makes this book an excellent guide for clinicians who may not perform these procedures regularly.
- Consistent procedure format includes a brief description of the procedure, a review of relevant anatomy and physiology, indications and contraindications, precautions, assessment, patient preparation, treatment alternatives, a list of equipment needed, and a step-by-step illustrated procedure.
- Detailed illustrations (nearly 400 drawings and photographs) clearly demonstrate the steps of each procedure.
- Step-by-step numbered guidelines for each procedure allow for quick reference.
- An introductory chapter covers legal, educational, and reimbursement factors related to performing common office procedures.
- Appendixes, including the Sample Checklist for Certification and the Sample Consent Form for Procedure, provide you with commonly used forms in an easy to access location.
- UPDATED! Nine new procedures reflect the changing spectrum of primary care procedures, customer requests, and changes in NP and PA practice (*asterisk indicates advanced procedures requiring special education and/or certification):
- Jewelry removal
- Fluoride varnish application
- Trigger point injection
- Dislocation reduction: finger (DIP and PIP joints)
- Bladder scanning with ultrasound
- Endometrial biopsy*
- Male circumcision (Gomco technique)*
- Manual detorsion of the testes*
- NEW! Red Flag alerts indicate when a procedure should be referred to a specialist.
- NEW and UPDATED! Additional and updated CPT billing codes, which are used frequently by NPs and PAs, reflect the most recent information.
- NEW! Brand new full-color, enhanced design, featuring procedure illustrations that fall within the boxed procedure steps, saves space and enhances learning.
- Convenient spiral binding lets you practice each procedure while keeping the book open for reference without contaminating your hands.
- NEW! Coverage of infection precautions, particularly in illustrations, stresses the importance and procedures of infection precaution.
- NEW! New illustrations are rendered in full color to improve your learning. Equipment photos have been replaced to show newer equipment, and selected photos have been replaced with higher-quality images.
- NEW! Updated procedure content throughout ensures currency and consistency with today's NP and PA scopes of practice and best practice guidelines.
- NEW! Handy new quick-reference tools, including an alphabetical list of procedures (with page numbers) inside the front cover and on the facing page and valuable reference information inside the back cover, improve navigation.
1. Issues Related to Primary Care Procedures
2. Dermatologic Procedures
3. Eye, Ear, Nose, and Mouth Procedures
4. Respiratory Procedures
5. Cardiovascular Procedures
6. Gastrointestinal Procedures
7. Orthopedic Procedures
8. Genitourinary Procedures
9. Women's Health Procedures
10. Men’s Health Procedures
11. General Principles of Radiograph Interpretation
Marilyn Winterton Edmunds, PhD, ANP/GNP, Adjunct Faculty, School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland; Editor, JNP: The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.