Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Covering the role of the veterinary technician in large animal care, Large Animal Clinical Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 3rd Edition helps students learn to set up, assist, and follow through on medical procedures and treatment regimens for domestic large animals. A comprehensive guide, this text not only defines the veterinary technician’s responsibilities in daily livestock care and hospital management, but includes separate sections on horses, cattle, sheep and goats, pigs, and llamas and alpacas, covering husbandry, clinical procedures, surgical procedures, and common diseases for each. This new edition includes new chapters on livestock nutrition and diagnostic imaging. It is the ideal text for students to use in preparing for certification exams, and an invaluable on-the-job reference.
- A practical approach makes this text useful in classes and in clinical situations, so veterinary technicians, acting under instructions of veterinarians, can plan and follow through on procedures and treatment regimens for large animals.
- A focus on the veterinary technician’s responsibilities explains why and how a procedure is performed, and the roles that you fill in preparing for, assisting in, and following up the procedure.
- Full-color photographs and line drawings show step-by-step procedures in areas such as restraint, bandaging, physical examination techniques, and diagnostic procedures.
- Coverage of the essential large animal-related tasks in the CVTEA Manual of Accreditation for Veterinary Technology Programs prepares you to pass the Veterinary Technology National Exam.
- Coverage of husbandry and breeds demonstrates how day-to-day housing and feeding affect the care of many large animal diseases, and also helps you provide quality client education.
- A section on the livestock industry provides comprehensive coverage of safety and handling, reproduction, and nutrition, so you can better understand the practices, procedures, and decisions in large animal veterinary medicine.
- A section on llamas and alpacas helps you understand the health and maintenance of these increasingly popular domestic animals — in the U.S., there are more than 12,000 alpaca herds and 25,000 llama owners.
- Proper medical terminology is included in a comprehensive glossary, helping you communicate effectively with clients and with other professionals.
- Learning features enhance critical thinking and decision making with case studies, clinical applications, key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, and Technician Notes.
- NEW livestock Nutrition and Diagnostic Imaging chapters provide a basic understanding of these subjects so you can perform history taking, correctly calculate rations for large animals, and fulfill your role in large animal diagnostic imaging.
- NEW Appendix of Vitals and Terminology provides a quick, at-a-glance reference for critical information.
- NEW! Supplemental chapters on the Evolve companion website cover the husbandry, clinical procedures, surgical procedures, and common diseases of poultry.
Part 1: The Livestock Industry
1. The Importance of Livestock
2. Livestock Safety and Handling
3. Livestock Reproduction
4. Livestock Nutrition NEW!
Part 2: Large Animal Hospital Management
5. Daily Hospital Responsibilities
6. Admissions, Medical Records, and Physical Examinations
7. Diagnostic Imaging NEW!
Part 3: Horses in Veterinary Practice
8. Equine Husbandry
9. Equine Clinical Procedures
10. Equine Surgical Procedures
11. Equine Disease
Part 4: Cattle in Veterinary Practice
12. Bovine Husbandry
13. Bovine Clinical Procedures
14. Bovine Surgical Procedures
15. Common Bovine Diseases
Part 5: Sheep and Goats in Veterinary Practice
16. Ovine and Caprine Husbandry
17. Ovine and Caprine Clinical Procedures
18. Ovine and Caprine Surgical Procedures
19. Common Ovine and Caprine Diseases
Part 6: Llamas and Alpacas in Veterinary Practice
20. Camelid Husbandry
21. Camelid Clinical Procedures
22. Camelid Surgical Procedures
23. Common Camelid Diseases
Part 7: Swine in Veterinary Practice
24. Porcine Husbandry
25. Porcine Clinical Procedures
26. Porcine Surgical Procedures
27. Porcine Diseases
Appendix I: Appendix of Vitals and Terminology
Appendix II: Collection of Tables
Kristin J. Holtgrew-Bohling, DVM, LVT, RLATG, Instructor, Veterinary Technology Program, Vatterott College, Omaha, NE; Iowa State University/ University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Professional Program of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014