Communication in Nursing, 8th Edition
Draw your students into the topic of communication in the workplace with an interesting conversation about the communication demands of today’s nursing practice! Communication in Nursing, 8th Edition adopts a uniquely practical and personal approach, providing extensive examples, exercises, and techniques that help students understand important concepts and apply communication skills in a variety of clinical settings. With its conversational tone, this relatable text takes your students beyond theory to show them how to use communication as a tool to limit stress in their nursing practice. A new Active Learning feature promotes goal-directed reading, and additional QSEN exercises highlight the importance of assertive communication in promoting quality, safe care for clients — all in an easy-to-read magazine layout.
- QSEN preface and exercises stress how communication impacts safety and quality of care.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight beneficial outcomes of successful communication and provide concrete examples of how communication techniques work.
- "Reflections on..." boxes provide thoughtful summary exercises at the end of each chapter that give you a specific task to help you integrate chapter material into the broader scope of nursing practice.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes present selected verses and quotations relevant to chapter topics, adding interest and humor. These boxes keep your attention by providing moments of relief from serious topics and "a-ha" moments when theory becomes linked to practice.
- Exercises throughout each chapter help you master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
- NEW! Active Learning feature in every chapter promotes active, goal-directed reading.
- NEW! Exercises in each chapter, including reflective journaling, remediation, online and group activities, and discussion topics, help facilitate various learning types.
- NEW and UPDATED! Additional QSEN exercises and an updated QSEN preface highlight the importance of assertive communication in promoting quality, safe care for clients.
- NEW! Discusses the importance of interprofessional education and communication in the healthcare environment.
- NEW! Addresses the importance of "presence" in nursing — being present for clients, families, colleagues, and self.
- NEW! New content on healthy grief and the issues of death denial and death phobia and professional boundaries related to social media.
- NEW! Coverage of the most current research about the importance of self-care.
- NEW! Explains the importance of the concept of "the pause" in communication so you better understand how and when to use pauses.
Part 1: Packing Your Bags for the Journey of Caring, Assertive, Responsible Communication
1. Responsible, Assertive, Caring Communication in Nursing
2. The Client-Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Solving Problems Together
4. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
Part Two: Honoring Your Fellow Travelers Along the Journey
5. Demonstrating Warmth
6. Showing Respect
7. Being Genuine
8. Being Empathetic
9. Using Self-Disclosure
10. Being Specificity
11. Asking Questions
12. Expressing Opinions
13. Using Humor
14. Embracing the Spiritual Journey Of Health Caring…Meaning Making
Part Three: Developing Road-Worthy Practices Along the Journey
15. Requesting Support
16. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
17. Working With Feedback
18. Using Relaxation Techniques
19. Incorporating Imagery in Professional Practice and Self-Care
20. Incorporating Positive Self-Talk
21. Learning to Work Together in Groups
22. Navigating the Changing World of Electronic Communication
Part Four: Embracing the Transformative Process of the Journey
23. Learning Confrontation Skills
24. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
25. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Distressed Clients and Colleagues
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly With Unpopular Clients
28. Managing Team Conflict Assertively and Responsibly
29. Communicating at the End of Life
30. Continuing the Commitment to the Journey
Julia Balzer Riley, RN, MN, AHN-BC, REACE, President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL