Primary Care, 5th Edition
Prepare for success in today's fast-paced, collaborative healthcare environment! Offering expert perspectives from a variety of primary care and nurse practitioners, Primary Care: A Collaborative Practice, 5th Edition helps you diagnose, treat, and manage hundreds of adult disorders. Care recommendations indicate when to consult with physicians or specialists, and when to refer patients to an emergency facility. This edition includes six new chapters, a fresh new design, the latest evidence-based guidelines, and a new emphasis on clinical reasoning. Combining academic and clinical expertise, an author team led by Terry Mahan Buttaro shows NPs how to provide effective, truly interdisciplinary health care.
- UNIQUE! A collaborative perspective promotes seamless continuity of care, with chapters written by NPs, physicians, PAs, and other primary care providers.
- Comprehensive, evidence-based content covers every major disorder of adults seen in the outpatient office setting, reflects today's best practices, and includes the knowledge you need for the NP/DNP level of practice.
- A consistent format in each chapter is used to describe disorders, facilitating easier learning and quick clinical reference.
- Diagnostics and Differential Diagnosis boxes provide a quick reference for diagnosing disorders and making care management decisions.
- Complementary and alternative therapies are addressed where supported by solid research evidence.
- Referral icons highlight situations calling for specialist referral or emergency referral.
- NEW chapters cover topics including transitional care, risk management, LGBTQ patient care, bullous pemphigoid, pulmonary embolism, and dysphagia.
- NEW! An emphasis on clinical reasoning helps you develop skills in diagnosis and treatment, with coverage moving away from pathophysiology and toward diagnostic reasoning and disease management — including pharmacologic management.
- NEW focus on interdisciplinary care underscores the importance of interprofessional education and practice, and includes Interdisciplinary Management features.
- UPDATED chapters reflect the latest literature and evidence-based treatment guidelines, including new content on the Affordable Care Act as well as new coverage of patient satisfaction metrics, quality metrics, value-based purchasing, pharmacogenetics/genomics, and teen pregnancy and abnormal pregnancy.
- NEW quick-reference features make it easier to locate important information, through colorful section tabs, bulleted summaries, additional algorithms, a more logical table of contents, an Index to Standardized Treatment Guidelines, and a Reference to Common Laboratory Values.
Part 1: Introduction
1.The Evolving Landscape of Collaborative Practice
2.Transitional Care NEW!
3.Translating Research Into Clinical Practice
4.The Patient, the Provider, and Primary Care: An Integrated Perspective
5.Population-Based Care for Primary Care Providers
6.Health Literacy, Health Care Disparities, and Culturally Responsive Primary Care
7.Genetic Considerations in Primary Care
8.Risk Management NEW!
Part 2: Primary Care: Adolescence Through Adulthood
10.LGBTQ Patient Care NEW!
11.Pregnancy and Prenatal Care
13.Aging and Common Geriatric Syndromes
14.Palliative and End-of Life Care
Part 3: Health Maintenance
15.Obesity and Weight Management
17.Routine Health Screening and Immunizations
18.Principles of Occupational and Environmental Health in Primary Care
20.Health Care of the International Traveler
22.Preparticipation Sports Physical
Part 4: Office Emergencies
23.Disaster/Emergency Preparedness and Response in Primary Care
26.Bites and Stings
27.Bradycardia and Tachycardia
Part 5: Evaluation and Management of Skin Disorders
38.Examination of the Skin and Approach to Diagnosis of Skin Disorders
39.Surgical Office Procedures
40.Principles of Dermatologic Therapy
41.Screening for Skin Cancer
44.Animal and Human Bites
45.Bullous Pemphigoid NEW!
49.Corns and Calluses
53.Eczematous Dermatitis (Atopic Dermatitis)
54.Fungal Infections (Superficial)
55.Herpes Zoster (Shingles)
56.Hidradenitis Suppurativa (Acne Inversa)
60.Pigmentation Changes (Vitiligo)
Part 6: Evaluation and Management of Eye Disorders
70.Evaluation of the Eyes
72.Blepharitis, Hordeolum, and Chalazion
74.Corneal Surface Defects and Ocular Surface Foreign Bodies
75.Dry Eye Syndrome
76.Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction and Dacryocystitis
77.Preseptal and Orbital Cellulitis
78.Pinguecula and Pterygium
79.Traumatic Ocular Disorders
Part 7: Evaluation and Management of Ear Disorders
84.Inner Ear Disturbances
87.Tympanic Membrane Perforation
Part 8: Evaluation and Management of Nose Disorders
88.Chronic Nasal Congestion and Discharge
93.Smell and Taste Disturbances
94.Tumors and Polyps of the Nose
Part 9: Evaluation and Management of Oropharynx Disorders
96.Diseases of the Salivary Glands
101.Pharyngitis and Tonsillitis
Part 10: Evaluation and Management of Pulmonary Disorders
104.Chest Pain (Noncardiac)
106.Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
110.Pleural Effusions and Pleurisy
113.Pulmonary Embolism NEW!
Part 11: Evaluation and Management of Cardiovascular Disorders
116.Cardiac Diagnostic Testing: Noninvasive Assessment of Coronary Artery Disease
117.Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
119.Carotid Artery Disease
120.Chest Pain and Coronary Artery Disease
125.Peripheral Arterial and Venous Insufficiency
126.Valvular Heart Disease and Cardiac Murmurs
Part 12: Evaluation and Management of Gastrointestinal Disorders
127.Abdominal Pain and Infections
129.Cholelithiasis and Cholecystitis
135.Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
138.Inflammatory Bowel Disease
139.Irritable Bowel Syndrome
141.Nausea and Vomiting
143.Tumors of the Gastrointestinal Tract
144.Peptic Ulcer Disease
Part 13: Evaluation and Management of Genitourinary Disorders
147.Prostatic Hyperplasia (Benign)
148.Proteinura and Hematuria
150.Sexual Dysfunction (Male)
153.Urinary Tract Infections and Sexually Transmitted Infections
154.Uropathies (Obstructive) and Tumors of the Genitourinary Tract (Kidneys, Ureters, and Bladder)
Part 14: Evaluation and Management of Gynecologic Concerns
156.Bartholin's Gland Cysts and Abscesses
158.Chronic Pelvic Pain
163.Genital Tract Cancers
166.Pap Test Abnormalities
167.Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
168.Sexual Dysfunction (Female)
170.Vulvar and Vaginal Disorders
Part 15: Evaluation and Management of Musculoskeletal and Arthritic Disorders
171.Ankle and Foot Pain
175.Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome
177.Hand and Wrist Pain
181.Low Back Pain
182.Metabolic Bone Disease: Osteoporosis and Paget's Disease of the Bone
Terry Mahan Buttaro, PhD, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, CEN, FAANP, FNAP, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Boston, Massachusetts; Coastal Medical Associates, Salisbury, Massachusetts, JoAnn Trybulski, PhD, ARNP, FNAP, Director, DNP Program, Chamberlain College of Nursing, Doral, Florida, Patricia Polgar-Bailey, MS, MPH, APRN, BC, FNP, CDE, BC-ADM, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Manager, UVa-Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital, Charlottesville, Virginia and Joanne Sandberg-Cook, MS, APRN, BC, ANP, GNP, ACHPN, Adult/Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire; Instructor in Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire