Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist, 4th Edition
Give dental hygiene students a solid introduction to public health and the role of the oral health professional. In this new edition of Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist, respected dental educator Christine French Beatty, RDH, PhD, defines the role of the dental health professional in improving the oral health of people throughout the community. Key areas of focus include the Affordable Care Act, Healthy People 2020, health literacy, teledentistry, access to care, interprofessional practice, and oral health workforce models. Test-taking strategies, community cases, and application exercises help students prepare for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE), and ADEA competencies for dental hygiene are mapped in each chapter. A full-color expanded art program and additional ancillary content for students and instructors make this text a must-have resource!
- Comprehensive, cutting-edge content delivers everything you need to know to succeed in community dental hygiene practice.
- Trusted editor Christine Beatty draws on decades of teaching, practicing, and writing on community oral health to make this complex content approachable for those new to public health.
- Chapter on test-taking strategies helps you confidently prepare for the community oral health portion of the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
- Expanded Community cases on the companion Evolve website test your ability to apply your knowledge to common scenarios you may encounter as a dental hygienist.
- Up-to-date information on national initiatives such as Healthy People 2020 and the Surgeon General’s report details the goals and guidelines of various government programs.
- Dental hygienist mini-profiles provide real-world perspectives to help you prepare for a career in public health.
- Applying Your Knowledge sections suggest ways your can begin improving oral health in your community.
- Guiding principles, learning objectives, vocabulary terms, and chapter summaries help you study more efficiently.
- NEW! Content updates include Healthy People 2020 ,health literacy, teledentistry, the Affordable Care Act, oral health workforce models, access to care, interprofessional practice, and more.
- NEW! Full-color design highlights key concepts within each chapter.
- NEW! Art program delivers more photos to help drive home key concepts.
1. People’s Health: An Introduction
2. Careers in Public Health for the Dental Hygienist
3. Assessment for Community Oral Health Program Planning
4. Measuring Oral Health Status and Progress
5. Population Health
6. Oral Health Programs in the Community
8. Health Promotion and Health Communication
9. Social Responsibility
10. Cultural Competence
11. Service-Learning: Preparing Dental Hygienists for Collaborative Practice
12. Test-Taking Strategies and Community Cases
Appendix A. Additional Websites for Community Resources
Appendix B. Dental Hygiene Competencies
Appendix C. Community Partnerships for Oral Health
Appendix D. Resources for Community Health Assessment
Appendix E. Selected Oral Conditions and Factors Influencing Oral Health That Can Be Assessed in Oral Health Surveys Appendix F. Common Dental Indexes
Christine French Beatty