Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 7th Edition
Often called the ‘the best NCLEX® exam review book ever,’ Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 7th Edition provides everything you need to prepare for the NCLEX exam — complete content review and 5,200 NCLEX examination-style questions in the book and online. Don't make the mistake of assuming the quality of the questions is the same in all NCLEX exam review books, because only this book includes the kind of questions that consistently test the critical thinking skills necessary to pass today's NCLEX exam. Even better, all answers include detailed rationales to help you learn from your answer choices, as well as test-taking strategies with tips on how to best approach each question. Written by the most trusted name in NCLEX review, Linda Anne Silvestri, and updated to reflect the most current 2016 NCLEX test plan, Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 7th Edition is THE book of choice for NCLEX examination review. But don’t just take our word for it — read any customer review or ask your classmates to see why there's nothing else like it!
- Over 5,100 practice questions in the text and online offer ample testing practice.
- Question categories by cognitive level, client needs area, integrated process, and content area give users completely customizable exams or study sessions when using the companion Evolve site.
- UNIQUE! A detailed test-taking strategy and rationale is included for each question, offering clues for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option, and guiding users to remediation in Saunders Strategies for Test Success: Passing Nursing School and the NCLEX® Exam and Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Exam.
- Inclusion of all alternate item format questions covers multiple response, prioritizing [ordered response], fill-in-the-blank, figure/illustration [hot spot], chart/exhibit, video, and audio questions to give users practice with mastering prioritizing, decision-making, and critical thinking skills.
- Alternate item format questions are highlighted with a special icon to easily find in the text.
- 85-question comprehensive exam covers all content areas in the book in the same percentages that they are covered on the actual NCLEX-RN test plan.
- UNIQUE! Priority Nursing Action boxes list actions for clinical emergent situations requiring immediate action, including a detailed rationale and textbook reference.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Alert! boxes spotlight important nursing concepts and procedures, and include tips and shortcuts for remembering key information.
- UNIQUE! Priority concepts call-outs highlight specific concepts related to nursing practice. Concepts have been updated to reflect the latest Giddens: Concepts for Nursing Practice text.
- Page references for each question guide users toward an Elsevier nursing textbook for further study and self-remediation.
- Full-color design offers a more visually engaging learning experience.
- Easy-to-use index lets users quickly locate questions for a given topic or body system.
- Recent graduate’s perspective sections offer meaningful guidance for the NCLEX-RN, nonacademic preparation, test-taking strategies, and the CAT format.
- Expanded coverage of delegation, prioritization, and triage/disaster management in the practice questions reflect the areas of increased emphasis on the NCLEX exam.
- Automatic software updates on the Evolve companion site allow users to check for changes and content updates throughout the life of the edition.
- UNIQUE! Audio review summaries on pharmacology, fluids and electrolytes, and acid-base balance are found on the Evolve companion site.
- NEW! Questions and content aligned with the latest NCLEX-RN exam reflect the increased level of difficulty and format changes in some areas.
- NEW! Summary of the key changes made to the 2016 NCLEX-RN test plan will be included at the beginning of the text along with how those updates are addressed throughout the new edition.
- NEW! Mnemonics will be included as Pyramid Alerts where appropriate throughout the text.
- NEW! More Priority Nursing Action boxes to communicate new and pertinent content.
- NEW! Revised illustrations provide a more up-to-date and consistent presentation of art throughout the text.
- NEW! Completely updated chapter on vital signs and laboratory values include the latest lab values.
- NEW! Glossary of the Pyramid Terms located in the back of the book help users access all definitions in one location.
Unit I: NCLEX-RN Exam Preparation 1 The NCLEX-RN Examination 2 Pathways to Success 3 The NCLEX-RN Examination: From a Student’s Perspective 4 Test-Taking Strategies Unit II: Issues in Nursing 5 Cultural Diversity 6 Ethical and Legal Issues 7 Leadership, Delegating, and Prioritizing Client Care Unit III: Nursing Sciences 8 Fluids and Electrolytes 9 Acid-Base Balance 10 Vital Signs and Laboratory Values 11 Nutrition 12 Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) 13 Intravenous Therapy 14 Administration of Blood Products Unit IV: Fundamental Skills 15 Health and Physical Assessment of the Adult Client 16 Provision of a Safe Environment 17 Calculation of Medication and Intravenous Prescriptions 18 Perioperative Nursing Care 19 Positioning Clients 20 Care of a Client with a Tube Unit V: Growth and Development Across the Life Span 21 Theories of Growth and Development 22 Developmental Stages 23 Care of the Older Client Unit VI: Maternity Nursing 24 Reproductive System 25 Prenatal Period 26 Risk Conditions Related to Pregnancy 27 Labor and Birth 28 Problems with Labor and Birth 29 The Postpartum Period 30 Postpartum Complications 31 Care of the Newborn 32 Maternity and Newborn Medications Unit VII: Pediatric Nursing 33 Neurological, Cognitive, and Psychosocial Disorders 34 Eye, Ear, and Throat Disorders 35 Respiratory Disorders 36 Cardiovascular Disorders 37 Gastrointestinal Disorders 38 Metabolic and Endocrine Disorders 39 Renal and Urinary Disorders 40 Integumentary Disorders 41 Musculoskeletal Disorders 42 Hematological Disorders 43 Oncological Disorders 44 Infectious and Communicable Diseases 45 Pediatric Medication Administration and Calculations Unit VIII: The Adult Client with an Integumentary Disorder 46 Integumentary System 47 Integumentary Medications Unit IX: The Adult Client with an Oncological Disorder 48 Oncological Disorders 49 Antineoplastic Medications Unit X: The Adult Client with an Endocrine Disorder 50 Endocrine System 51 Endocrine Medications Unit XI: The Adult Client with a Gastrointestinal Disorder 52 Gastrointestinal System 53 Gastrointestinal Medications Unit XII: The Adult Client with a Respiratory Disorder 54 Respiratory System 55 Respiratory Medications Unit XIII: The Adult Client with a Cardiovascular Disorder 56 Cardiovascular Disorders 57 Cardiovascular Medications Unit XIV : The Adult Client with a Renal System Disorder 58 Renal System 59 Renal Medications Unit XV: The Adult Client with an Eye or Ear Disorder 60 The Eye and the Ear 61 Ophthalmic and Otic Medications Unit XVI: The Adult Client with a Neurological Disorder 62 Neurological System 63 Neurological Medications Unit XVII: The Adult Client with a Musculoskeletal Disorder 64 Musculoskeletal System 65 Musculoskeletal Medications Unit XVIII: The Adult Client with an Immune Disorder 66 Immune Disorders 67 Immunologic Medications Unit XIX: The Adult Client with a Mental Health Disorder 68 Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing 69 Mental Health Disorders 70 Addictions 71 Crisis Theory and Intervention 72 Psychiatric Medications
Unit XX: Comprehensive Test General Bibliography Glossary Index Special Features: Priority Nursing Action Boxes
Linda Anne Silvestri, PhD, RN, Instructor of Nursing, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI; President, Nursing Reviews, Inc. and Professional Nursing Seminars, Inc., Charlestown, RI