AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
The AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care, 7th Edition, authored by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, is the authoritative reference to procedures performed in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings. It visually guides you through procedures unique to the adult critical care environment, including those performed by advanced practice nurses, in an illustrated, step-by-step format. This edition features 17 new procedures, new illustrations, and updated content throughout, reflecting the latest evidence-based guidelines and national and international protocols.
- Authored by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, the foremost authority in critical care nursing, the AACN Procedure Manual is the most authoritative reference to procedures performed by nurses in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all procedures commonly performed by nurses in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings, including those performed by advanced practice nurses (indicated by an AP icon).
- A straightforward step-by-step organization uses consistent headings to make following a procedure (and finding the various supporting elements) quick and easy.
- Rationales for all interventions in patient and family education, assessment, patient preparation, procedure, and monitoring help you understand the reason for every step.
- The level of evidence is provided when an evidence base exists to substantiate an intervention, giving insight into the strength of information available.
- Advanced practice procedures are clearly identified with an AP icon so you can judge whether a procedure is within your scope of practice.
- Alphabetical Procedure Index inside the front cover provides quick access to the procedures.
- Written by more than 100 expert critical care nurses and extensively reviewed by more than 100 experts in critical care nursing to ensure the accuracy and currency of each procedure.
- Bulleted lists, tables, and detailed illustrations throughout ensure that content is easy to reference and digest.
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest evidence-based guidelines and national and international protocols.
- NEW! 17 new procedures reflect major additions to nursing practice in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings.
- NEW! Engaging new illustrations of procedures, equipment, and techniques are integrated throughout.
UNIT I: Pulmonary System
Section One: Airway Management 1. Combitube Insertion and Removal AP 2. Endotracheal Intubation (Perform) AP 3. Endotracheal Intubation (Assist) 4. Endotracheal Tube and Oral Care Practices for Ventilated and Non-ventilated Patients 5. Extubation/Decannulation (Perform) AP 6. Extubation/Decannulation (Assist) 7. NEW! King Airway Insertion and Removal AP 8. Laryngeal Mask Airway AP 9. Nasopharyngeal and Oral Airway Insertion 10. Suctioning: Endotracheal or Tracheostomy Tube 11. Surgical Cricothyrotomy (Perform) AP 12. Surgical Cricothyrotomy (Assist) 13. Tracheostomy Cuff and Tube Care
Section Two: Special Pulmonary Procedures 14. Continuous End-Tidal Carbon Dioxide Monitoring 15. Continuous Lateral Rotation Therapy 16. Continuous Venous Oxygen Saturation Monitoring 17. NEW! Extracorporeal Life Support (ECLS) and Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) 18. Oxygen Saturation Monitoring with Pulse Oximetry 19. Pronation Therapy
Section Three: Thoracic Cavity Management 20. Autotransfusion 21. Chest Tube Placement (Perform) AP 22. Chest Tube Placement (Assist) 23. Chest Tube Removal (Perform) AP 24. Chest Tube Removal (Assist) 25. Closed Chest Drainage System 26. Needle Thoracostomy (Perform) AP 27. Thoracentesis (Perform) AP 28. Thoracentesis (Assist)
Section Four: Ventilatory Management 29. Invasive Mechanical Ventilation (Through an Artificial Airway): Volume and Pressure Modes 30. Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation: Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) 31. Manual Self-Inflating Resuscitation Bag-Valve Device 32. Peripheral Nerve Stimulators 33. Weaning Mechanical Ventilation
UNIT II: Cardiovascular System
Section Five: Cardiac Emergencies 34. Automated External Defibrillation 35. Cardioversion 36. Defibrillation (External) 37. Defibrillation (Internal) (Perform) AP 38. NEW! Defibrillation (Internal) Assist 39. Emergent Open Sternotomy (Perform) AP 40. Emergent Open Sternotomy (Assist) 41. NEW! External Wearable Cardioverter Defibrillator 42. Pericardiocentesis (Perform) AP 43. Pericardiocentesis (Assist)
Section Six: Cardiac Pacemakers 44. Atrial Electrogram 45. Atrial Overdrive Pacing (Perform) AP 46. Epicardial Pacing Wire Removal AP 47. Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator 48. Permanent Pacemaker (Assessing Function) 49. Temporary Transcutanous (External) Pacing 50. Temporary Transvenous Pacemaker Insertion (Perform) AP 51. Temporary Transvenous and Epicardial Pacing
Section Seven: Circulatory Assist Devices 52. Intraaortic Balloon Pump Management 53. Ventricular Assist Devices AP
Section Eight: Electrocardiographic Leads and Cardiac Monitoring 54. Cardiac Monitoring and Electrocardiographic Leads 55. Extra Electrocardiographic Leads: Right Precordial and Left Posterior Leads 56. ST-Segment Monitoring (Continuous) 57. Twelve-Lead Electrocardiogram
Section Nine: Hemodynamic Monitoring 58. Arterial Catheter Insertion (Perform) AP 59. Arterial Catheter Insertion (Assist), Care, and Removal 60. Arterial Pressure-Based Cardiac Output Monitoring 61. Blood Sampling from an Arterial Catheter 62. Blood Sampling from a Central Venous Catheter 63. Blood Sampling from a Pulmonary Artery Catheter 64. Cardiac Output Measurement Techniques (Invasive) 65. Central Venous Catheter Removal 66. Central Venous Catheter Site Care 67. Central Venous/Right Atrial Pressure Monitoring 68. NEW! Esophageal Cardiac Output Monitoring: Perform AP 69. NEW! Esophageal Cardiac Output Monitoring: Assist 70. NEW! Non-Invasive Cardiac Output Monitoring 71. Pulmonary Artery Catheter Insertion (Perform) AP 72. Pulmonary Artery Catheter Insertion (Assist) and Pressure Monitoring 73. Pulmonary Artery Catheter Removal 74. Pulmonary Artery Catheter and Pressure Lines, Troubleshooting 75. Single-Pressure and Multiple-Pressure Transducer Systems
Section Ten: Special Cardiac Procedures 76. Femoral Arterial and Venous Sheath Removal 77. NEW! Radial Arterial Sheath Removal 78. Pericardial Catheter Management 79. NEW! Thenar Tissue Oxygen Saturation Monitoring 80. Transesophageal Echocardiography (Assist)
Section Eleven: Vascular Access 81. Arterial Puncture AP 82. Central Venous Catheter Insertion (Perform) AP 83. Central Venous Catheter Insertion (Assist) 84. Implantable Venous Access Device: Access, Deaccess, and Care AP 85. Intraosseus Devices 86. NEW! Mid Line Catheters AP 87. Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter AP
UNIT III: Neurologic System
Section Twelve: Neurologic Monitoring 88. Bispectral Index Monitoring 89. Brain Tissue Oxygenation Monitoring: Insertion (Assist), Care, and Troubleshooting 90. NEW! Cerebral Blood Flow Monitoring 91. NEW! Cerebral Micodialysis 92. NEW! Intracranial Bolt and Fiberoptic Catheter Insertion (Assist), Intracranial Pressure Monitoring, Care, Troubleshooting, and Removal 93. Intraventricular/Fiberoptic Catheter Insertion (Assist), Monitoring, Nursing Care, Troubleshooting, and Removal 94. Intraventricular Catheter with External Transducer for Cerebrospinal Fluid Drainage and Intracranial Pressure Monitoring 95. Lumbar Subarachnoid Catheter Insertion (Assist) for Cerebrospinal Fluid Drainage and Pressure Monitoring
Section Thirteen: Special Neurologic Procedures 96. Lumbar Puncture (Perform) AP 97. Lumbar Puncture (Assist) 98. NEW! Pupillometer 99. Rotorest® Lateral Rotation Surface 100. Thermoregulation: External and Intravascular Warming & Cooling Devices
Section Fourteen: Traction Management 101. Cervical Tongs or Halo Ring: Application for Use in Cervical Traction (Assist) 102. Cervical Traction Maintenance 103. Halo Ring and Vest Care 104. Pin Site Care: Cervical Tongs and Halo Pins
Section Fifteen: Pain Management 105. Epidural Catheters: Assisting with Insertion and Pain Management 106. Patient-Controlled Analgesia 107. Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Assisting with Insertion and Pain Management
UNIT IV: Gastrointestinal Sys
AACN and Debra L. Wiegand, PhD, RN, CCRN, FAAN, Associate Professor, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland; Staff Nurse, Surgical Cardiac Care Unit, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania