Case Studies in Primary Care,2nd Edition
Real-world scenarios help you develop clinical reasoning skills for primary care! Case Studies in Primary Care: A Day in the Office, 2nd Edition includes 50 case studies on the most commonly encountered situations in primary care. Demonstrating the kinds of health problems that a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant might see during a typical clinical day, case studies cover patients from various cultures and all ages. You’re asked to analyze data and think critically in reaching accurate diagnoses and planning effective treatment; you can then submit your responses online for grading and instant feedback.
- Real-world scenarios offer the opportunity to analyze clinical situations likely to be encountered in today's primary care settings, providing practice in clinical reasoning skills.
- Day in the Office format presents cases hour by hour, in the way a typical clinical day might unfold.
- Emphasis on problem-based learning helps you to think critically and analyze clinical situations — such as ear infections, diarrhea, and coughing and fever — in order to provide appropriate primary care.
- Six NEW cases are included (for a total of 50), with three focusing on older clients with more complex health challenges, one addressing unplanned pregnancy, and two addressing practice management issues.
- NEW! Emphasis on follow-up care addresses patients coming to the primary care setting from retail clinics, rehabilitation settings, or acute-care settings, and underscores the importance of interprofessional collaboration.
- NEW! Enhanced patient diversity includes cases for all age groups, and reflects a more contemporary appreciation of cultural diversity and gender/gender identity.
- NEW! Updates to all cases ensure that case studies and feedback are consistent with the latest research evidence, clinical practice guidelines, and national and international treatment standards.
- NEW! Online answer submission allows you to write Assessment and Plan answers in the printed book, then submit answers online for grading and feedback.
- NEW! Grading rubrics are provided on the companion Evolve website to help you develop your answers.
- NEW! Introduction explains how to get the most out of the book.
7:45 am CASE #1 Organizing and managing your day NEW!
8:00 am CASE #2 Complete physical exam
8:30 am CASE #3 Incontinence NEW!
9:00 am CASE #4 Unintended pregnancy NEW!
9:15 am CASE #5 Dysuria
9:30 am CASE #6 Head congestion
9:45 am CASE #7 Rash
10:00 am CASE #8 Complete physical exam, headaches
10:45 am CASE# 9 Emergency contraception
11:00 am CASE #10 Well child check
11:30 am CASE #11 Travel
11:45 am CASE #12 Upper respiratory infection
Lunchtime Phone Call CASE #13 Negative PPD
1:00 pm CASE #14 Ear infection
1:15 pm CASE #15 Anemia
1:30 pm CASE #16 Cholesterol follow-up
1:45 pm CASE #17 Contraception
2:00 pm CASE #18 Ankle pain
2:15 pm CASE #19 Acne
2:45 pm CASE #20 Heartburn
3:15 pm CASE #21 Recurrent diarrhea
3:45 pm CASE #22 Head lice
4:00 pm CASE #23 Diabetes follow-up
4:30 pm CASE #24 Scrotal pain
After Office Hours
Add-on CASE #25 Review Pap results (patient not present)
Phone Call #1 at closing CASE #26 Rectal bleeding
Phone Call #2 at closing CASE #27 Worms
8:00 am CASE #28 Sports physical exam
8:30 am CASE #29 Chronic atrial fibrillation, diabetes NEW!
9:00 am CASE #30 Low back pain
9:15 am CASE #31 Hypertension
9:45 am CASE #32 Left great toe pain
10:00 am CASE #33 Complete physical exam
10:45 am CASE #34 Diarrhea
11:00 am CASE #35 Annual GYN, depressed
11:30 am CASE #36 Annual GYN, intimate-partner violence
Review diagnostic report CASE #37 Mammogram report
1:00 pm CASE #38 Allergy shot
1:15 pm CASE #39 Cough, fever, chills
1:30 pm CASE #40 Prenatal check
1:45 pm CASE #41 Urinary incontinence
2:30 pm CASE #42 Eye redness
2:45 pm CASE #43 Scrotal pain
3:00 pm CASE #44 Vaginal discharge
3:15 pm CASE #45 Wrist pain
3:30 pm CASE #46 Confusion
4:00 pm CASE #47 Weight gain NEW!
4:30 pm CASE #48 Difficulty starting urinary stream
4:45 pm CASE #49 Cough
After Office Hours
6:00 pm CASE #50 Staff Meeting to review financials NEW!
Joyce D. Cappiello, PhD, FNP, FAANP, Assistant Professor of Nursing, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire, Jeffrey A. Eaton, PhD, NP, Nurse Practitioner, Great Works Family Practice of York Hospital, South Berwick, Maine; Associate Professor, University of Southern Maine, Portland, Maine and Gene E. Harkless, DNSc, FNP-BC, CNL, FAANP, Chair, Associate Professor and Family Nurse Practitioner, Department of Nursing, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire