The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing, 2016 Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Help your students master advanced coding skills with plenty of hands-on practice and guidance from the most trusted name in coding education! From leading coding author and educator Carol J. Buck, The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing uses real-world patient cases (cleared of any patient identifiers) to explain coding for services such as medical visits, diagnostic testing and interpretation, treatments, surgeries, and anesthesia. Hands-on practice with physician documentation helps students take the next step in coding proficiency. Learn to confidently pull the right information from medical documents, select the right codes, determine the correct sequencing of those codes, and then properly audit cases using Carol J. Buck's proven, step-by-step method
- UNIQUE! Evaluation and Management (E/M) audit forms include clear coding instructions to help reduce errors in determining the correct level of service.
- Real-world patient cases (cleared of any patient identifiers) simulate the first year of coding on-the-job by using actual medical records.
- More than 185 full-color illustrations depict and clarify advanced coding concepts.
- From the Trenches boxes highlight the real-life experiences of professional medical coders and include photographs, quotes, practical tips, and advice.
- UPDATED content includes the latest coding information available, for accurate coding and success on the job.
1. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
4. Pathology and Laboratory
5. Integumentary System
6. Cardiovascular System
7. Digestive System, Hemic/Lymphatic System, and Mediastinum/Diaphragm
8. Musculoskeletal System
9. Respiratory System
10. Urinary, Male Genital, and Endocrine Systems
11. Female Genital System and Maternity Care/Delivery
12. Nervous System
13. Eye and Auditory Systems
Appendix A: E/M Audit Form
Appendix B: CMS AB-01-44
Appendix C: Resources
Appendix D: Abbreviations
Appendix E: Answers to every other case
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN