ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding: Theory and Practice, 2016 Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With this comprehensive guide to inpatient coding, students will ‘learn by doing!’ ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding: Theory and Practice, 2016 Edition provides a thorough understanding of diagnosis and procedure coding in physician and hospital settings. It combines basic coding principles, clear examples, plenty of challenging exercises, and the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting to ensure coding accuracy using the latest codes. From leading medical coding authority Karla Lovaasen, this expert resource offers the coding knowledge and practice that students need to succeed in the new world of ICD-10 coding.
- Coding exercises and examples let you apply concepts and practice coding with ICD-10-CM/PCS codes.
- Coverage of disease includes illustrations and coding examples, helping you understand how commonly encountered conditions relate to ICD-10-CM coding.
- ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting provide fast, easy access to examples of proper application.
- Full-color design with illustrations emphasizes important content such as anatomy and physiology and visually reinforces key concepts.
- Integrated medical record coverage provides a context for coding and familiarizes you with documents you will encounter on the job.
- Coverage of common medications promotes coding accuracy by introducing medication names commonly encountered in medical records.
- Coverage of both common and complex procedures prepares you for inpatient procedural coding using ICD-10-PCS.
- MS-DRG documentation and reimbursement details provide instruction on proper application of codes
- NEW! 30-day trial access to TruCode® includes additional practice exercises on the Evolve companion website, providing a better understanding of how to utilize an encoder.
- UPDATED content includes icd-10 code revisions, ensuring you have the latest coding information.
- The Rationale for and History of Coding
- The Health Record as the Foundation of Coding
- ICD-10-CM Format and Conventions
- Basic Steps of Coding
- General Coding Guidelines for Diagnosis
- General Coding Guidelines for Medical and Surgical Procedures
- General Coding Guidelines for Other Medical- and Surgical-Related Procedures and Ancillary Procedures
- Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Clinical and Laboratory Findings Not Elsewhere Classified, and Z Codes (ICD-10-CM Chapters 18 and 21, Codes R00-R99, Z00-Z99)
- Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 1, Codes A00-B99)
- Neoplasms (ICD-10-CM Chapter 2, Codes C00-D49)
- Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Certain Disorders Involving the Immune Mechanism (ICD-10-CM Chapter 3, Codes D50-D89)
- Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases (ICD-10-CM Chapter 4, Codes E00-E89)
- Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders (ICD-10-CM Chapter 5, Codes F01-F99)
- Diseases of the Nervous System, Diseases of the Eye and Adnexa, and Diseases of the Ear and Mastoid Process (ICD-10-CM Chapter 6, Codes G00-G99, Chapter 7, Codes H00-H59, and Chapter 8, Codes H60-H95)
- Diseases of the Circulatory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 9, Codes I00-I99)
- Diseases of the Respiratory System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 10, Codes J00-J99)
- Diseases of the Digestive System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 11, Codes K00-K95)
- Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 12, Codes L00-L99)
- Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue (ICD-10-CM Chapter 13, Codes M00-M99)
- Diseases of the Genitourinary System (ICD-10-CM Chapter 14, Codes N00-N99)
- Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (ICD-10-CM Chapter 15, Codes O00-O9A)
- Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period and Congenital Malformations, Deformations, and Chromosomal Abnormalities (ICD-10-CM Chapter 16, Codes P00-P96 and Chapter 17, Codes Q00-Q99)
- Injury and Certain Other Consequences of External Causes and External Causes of Morbidity (ICD-10-CM Chapter 19, Codes S00-T88 and Chapter 20, Codes V00-Y99)
- Burns, Adverse Effects, and Poisonings (ICD-10-CM Chapters 19 and 20, Codes S00-Y99)
- Complications of Surgical and Medical Care
- Reimbursement Methodologies
- Outpatient Coding
Karla R. Lovaasen, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer Coding and Consulting Services Abingdon, Maryland