Contemporary Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Thoroughly prepare for the rapidly evolving world of nursing with Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 7th Edition. Expert authors Barbara Cherry and Susan Jacob combine their own expertise from both academics and practice as they cover the relevant issues affecting today’s nurses. In 28 chapters, including a new chapter on palliative care, this comprehensive new edition takes readers through the evolution of nursing, the role of the nurse today, safe and effective decision-making, collaboration and communication, leadership, job opportunities, and a number of timely issues affecting healthcare and nursing practice today.
- Full-color design enhances the narrative with a clear, visually appealing explanation of concepts.
- Humorous cartoons open each chapter to illustrate the chapter themes.
- Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter personalize nursing history and practice and help readers understand their place in the profession. Questions to Consider While Reading This Chapter follow the vignettes and prepare the reader for the topic to be discussed.
- Key terms, learning outcomes, chapter overviews, and chapter summaries help readers focus their learning experience.
- Unit on Leadership and Management in Nursing includes content to prepare nurses to effectively function in the management roles expected of the professional nurse.
- Unit on Career Management provides strategies on how to make the transition from student to practitioner and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN Examination.
- Case studies help readers apply theory to clinical practice.
- NEW! Chapter on palliative care focuses on how to best provide patients with relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness, and how to improve the quality of life for both the patient and family.
- NEW! Combined chapter on quality improvement and QSEN keeps readers up to date on the latest competencies from the Institute of Medicine.
- NEW! Professional/Ethical Issue boxes provide a short scenario about an ethical issue related to the chapter content.
- NEW! Updated coverage reflects the latest NCLEX test plan.
- NEW! Incorporation of Triple Aim in healthcare discusses ways to improve the health of the population, enhance the experience and outcomes of the patient, and reduce per capita cost of care for the benefit of communities.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of working in an interdisciplinary team reflects the changing healthcare landscape and need to work in collaboration with a variety of healthcare specialists.
Unit 1: The Development of Nursing
1. The Evolution of Professional Nursing
2. The Contemporary Image of Professional Nursing
3. The Influence of Contemporary Trends and Issues on Nursing Education
4. Nursing Licensure and Certification
5. Theories of Nursing Practice
6. Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
Unit 2: Current Issues in Health Care
7. Paying for Health Care in America: Rising Costs and Challenges
8. Legal Issues in Nursing and Health Care
9. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Nursing and Health Care
10. Cultural Competency and Social Issues in Nursing and Health Care
11. Complementary and Alternative Healing
12. Palliative Care NEW!
13. Workforce Advocacy and the Nursing Shortage
14. Collective Bargaining and Unions in Today’s Workplace
15. Information Technology in the Clinical Setting
16. Emergency Preparedness and Response for Today’s World
Unit 3: Leadership and Management in Nursing
17. Nursing Leadership and Management
18. Budgeting Basics for Nurses
19. Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution
20. Effective Delegation and Supervision
21. Staffing and Nursing Care Delivery Models
22. Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (combine QSEN content)
23. Health Policy and Politics: Get Involved!
Unit 4: Career Management
24. Making the Transition from Student to Professional Nurse
25. Managing Time: The Path to High Self-Performance
26. Contemporary Nursing Roles and Career Opportunities
27. Job Search: Finding Your Match
28. NCLEX-RN ® Examination
Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC
Department Chair for Leadership Studies;
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center,
School of Nursing;
Lubbock, Texas and Susan R. Jacob, PhD, RN, Professor and Assistant Dean of Quality and Strategic Affairs, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Nursing