Clinical Calculations - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Accurate drug calculations start here! Clinical Calculations: With Applications to General and Specialty Areas, 8th Edition covers all four major drug calculation methods — ratio & proportion, formula, fractional equation, and dimensional analysis. It also includes practice problems not only for general care but also for specialty areas such as pediatrics and critical care. A new chapter covers insulin administration, and concise, illustrated information includes the latest medications, drug administration techniques, and devices. Written by a team of experts led by Joyce Kee, Clinical Calculations makes it easy to understand drug calculation and emphasizes patient safety above all else.
- Coverage of all four major drug calculation methods — ratio & proportion, formula, fractional equation, and dimensional analysis — allows you to apply the method that works best for you.
- Updated information on drug administration techniques and devices helps you master the latest techniques of drug administration, including oral, intravenous, intra-muscular, subcutaneous, and other routes.
- Updated drug information ensures you are familiar with the most commonly used drugs in clinical practice.
- Caution boxes alert you to problems or issues related to various drugs and their administration.
- Information on infusion pumps — enteral, single, multi-channel, PCA, and insulin — helps you understand their use in drug administration.
- Calculations for Specialty Areas section addresses the drug calculations needed to practice in pediatric, critical care, labor and delivery, and community settings.
- Detailed, full-color photos and illustrations show the most current equipment for IV therapy, the latest types of pumps, and the newest syringes.
- A comprehensive post-test allows you to test your knowledge of key concepts from the text.
- NEW Insulin Administration chapter provides a guide to administering injectable drugs.
- NEW practice problems, drugs, drug labels, and photos keep you up to date with today’s clinical practice.
- NEW! Updated QSEN guidelines and The Joint Commission standards help in reducing medication errors and in providing safe patient care.
Part I: Basic Math Review
Part II: Systems, Conversion, and Methods of Drug Calculation
1. Systems Used for Drug Administration
2. Conversion Within the Metric, Apothecary, and Household Systems
3. Interpretation of Drug Labels, Drug Orders, Bar Codes, MAR and eMAR, Automation of Medication Dispensing, and Abbreviations
4. Prevention of Medication Errors
5. Alternative Methods for Drug Administration
6. Methods of Calculation
7. Methods of Calculation for Individualized Drug Dosing
Part III: Calculations of Oral, Injectable, and Intravenous Drugs
8. Oral and Enteral Preparations with Clinical Applications
9. Injectable Preparations with Clinical Applications
10. Insulin Administration NEW!
11. Intravenous Preparations with Clinical Applications
Part IV: Calculations for Specialty Areas
13. Critical Care
14. Pediatric Critical Care
15. Labor and Delivery
Part V: Post-Test: Oral Preparations, Injectables, Intravenous, and Pediatrics
Appendix A: Guidelines for Administration
Appendix B: Nomograms: Child and Adult
Joyce LeFever Kee, MS, RN, Associate Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware and Sally M. Marshall, RN, MSN, Nursing Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office and Medical Center, Wilmington, DE