Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
A market-leading must-have and part of the LPN Threads series, Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing, From Student to Leader, 8th Edition provides students with everything they need to succeed in both nursing school and in a career in LPN/LVN nursing. With a strong emphasis on leadership, this clear, comprehensive new edition discusses the higher-level roles and responsibilities of an LPN/LVN leader, the skills necessary to become a successful LPN/LVN, and the future of the field. It is filled with opportunities for students to test their understanding as they read, as well as practice NCLEX review questions at the end of each chapter to prepare them for the NCLEX-PN® Examination.
- Collaborative Care boxes highlight challenges that occur in emerging community and continuing care workforce settings, and give you examples of leadership and management opportunities for LPN/LVNs in any health care setting you may find yourself.
- Critical Thinking boxes include activities that could be used in a flipped classroom experience, and provide you with critical thinking and problem solving opportunities throughout the chapter to enhance your understanding.
- Try This boxes provide students and instructors with clinical simulations or activities related to topics discussed in the text that can be utilized in simulation or role-play scenarios in class.
- Professional Pointers boxes give advice on nursing best practices in the professional arena during and after nursing school.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of the text contains key points, additional learning activities, and review questions for the NCLEX® Examination (including alternate format items in every chapter).
- Presents tips on taking the NCLEX-PN examination and information on applications, interviews, and the job search, including electronic resumes.
- Full-color design, cover, photos, and illustrations make this text visually appealing, pedagogically useful and easy to read.
- Numbered objectives open each chapter and provide a framework for content.
- Key points at the end of each chapter summarize chapter highlights and serve as an excellent review tool.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations are at the beginning of each chapter and in full color at first mention in the text, and assist you in improving and supplementing your terminology and language skills before you enter clinical practice.
- References and Suggested Readings lists are arranged by chapter at the end of the book to provide you with resources for further understanding of text concepts.
- NEW! Community Resources chapter covers tools and resources that you can find within your community to help you with learning, personal, and family needs that could interfere with success in school.
- NEW! Work Force Trends chapter discusses the most current issues, challenges, and concerns with the LPN/LVN workforce.
- NEW! Storytelling narratives at the beginning of each chapter use true stories to enhance learning and demonstrate the relevancy of key topics.
1. Personal Resources
2. Academic Resources
3. Community Resources
4. How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved: 1836 to Present
5. Critical Thinking: A Lifelong Journey
6. Ethics Applied to Nursing: Personal vs. Professional Ethics
7. Nursing and the Law: What Are The Rules?
8. Straightforward Communication: Instructors, Patients, Family and the Interdisciplinary Team
9. Assertiveness: Your Responsibility
10. Cultural Uniqueness, Sensitivity, and Competence
11. Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
12. Nursing Process: Your Role
13. Nursing Theory, Research, and Evidence-Based Practice
14. The Health Care Team: Where the LPN/LVN Fits In
15. Health Care Settings: Continuum of Care
16. Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
17. Collaboration: Leading and Managing
18. Work Force Trends: How to Find a First Job you Will Love
19. Licensure and Regulation: Know Your State Practice Act
Appendix A: NAPNES Standards of Practice and Educational Competencies of Graduates of Practical/Vocational Nursing Programs
Appendix B: NFLPN Nursing Practice Standards for the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse
Appendix C: NCLEX-PN® Review Question Answer Key
Patricia Knecht, PhD, MSN, RN, ANEF, Patty Knecht, PhD, MSN, RN, ANEF Director, Practical Nursing Program Chester County Intermediate Unit Downingtown, PA