Kinesiology, 3rd Edition
Make it easy for students to apply kinesiology concepts to the treatment of dysfunction with Muscolino’s Kinesiology: The Skeletal System and Muscle Function, 3rd Edition! With more than 1,200 full-color illustrations, this highly visual text gives students an unrivaled look at how muscles function as movers, antagonists, and stabilizers in the body. Part One in the text covers essential terminology that is used in kinesiology. Part Two covers the skeletal system including the makeup of skeletal and fascial tissues. Part Three contains a detailed study of the joints of the body. And lastly, Part Four examines how muscles function. This new edition also boasts a new chapter on biomechanics, a robust companion Evolve site with over 100 online video clips and an interactive muscle program. If you want to help your students understand muscle function and how to apply that knowledge to the clinical environment, then there’s no better guide than Muscolino!
- Coverage of strengthening exercises and stretching emphasizes the purposes and benefits of stretching and how to perform various stretching techniques.
- The most up-to-date information on posture and the gait cycle features high-quality art.
- Comprehensive chapter on muscle action and attachments includes illustrations of all of the muscles of the human body organized by function.
- Clinical applications throughout the book are directly related to kinesiology concepts and challenge you to apply what you’ve learned to clinical practice.
- Complete atlas of bones, bony landmarks, and joints includes more than 100 full-color photographs of every bone in the human body, giving you comprehensive coverage of bones not found in other kinesiology books.
- Clear, simple explanations of kinesiology concepts cover muscle contraction(s), coordination of muscles with movement, core stabilization, posture, exercise, reflexes, and how the nervous system controls and directs the muscular system.
- Approximately 1,200 four-color illustrations help you visualize important concepts.
- A wide variety of user resources include a comprehensive glossary of terms from the book, radiographs, answers to the review questions at the end of each chapter in the book, an interactive muscle program, and videos featuring joint actions and palpation techniques.
- NEW! A new chapter on biomechanics helps you understand how the body moves under normal circumstances and what may impair its movement in pathology.
- NEW! Improved illustrations in The Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body offer a vivid muscle atlas within the text.
- NEW! Expanded resources on Evolve companion site include a new collection of video clips and an interactive muscle program which help you identify the necessary skills for professional success.
Part I: Fundamentals of Structure and Motion of the Human Body 1. Parts of the Human Body 2. Mapping the Human Body
Part II: Skeletal Osteology: Study of the Bones 3. Skeletal Tissues 4. Fascia 5. Bones of the Skeleton
Part III: Skeletal Arthrology: Study of the Joints 6. Joint Action Terminology 7. Classification of Joints 8. Joints of the Axial Body 9. Joints of the Lower Extremity 10. Joints of the Upper Extremity
Part IV: Myology: Study of the Muscular System 11. Attachments and Actions of Muscles 12. Anatomy and Physiology of Muscle Tissue 13. How Muscles Function – The Big Picture 14. Types of Muscle Contractions 15. Roles of Muscles 16. Types of Joint Motion and Musculoskeletal Assessment 17. Determining the Force of a Muscle Contraction 18. Biomechanics NEW! 19. Neuromuscular System 20. Posture and the Gait Cycle 21. Postural Distortion Patterns 22. Stretching 23. Strengthening Exercises
Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, New York; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, Connecticut