Calculate with Confidence,7th Edition
Make sure your students learn and comprehend the three major methods of drug calculation! Calculate with Confidence, 7th Edition focuses on the increasing responsibility of the nurse in medication administration, prioritizes client safety with QSEN, and includes updated content that reflects the current scope of practice. This popular text covers the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods offering a step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. With over 2,100 practice problems, this comprehensive title focuses on enhancing the learning experience of nursing students at all curricular levels by making content clinically applicable.
- Over 2000 practice problems include pre-test and comprehensive post-test review
- Pre-test Basic Math, Comprehensive Unit and Basic Math review tests allows you a three-part approach to evaluate your understanding of basic math material covered in Unit 1, directing you to review chapters if you miss any of these test questions.
- UPDATED Medication Administration chapter includes medication safety, expansion of discussion on client rights, the basic six rights of medication administration, and routes of medication administration.
- Chapter review problems and answer key tests all major topics presented in the chapter and enables you to assess understanding of chapter content.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight issues that may lead to mediation errors and empower you to identify actions that must be taken to avoid calculation errors.
- NEW! Content additions and updates includes word problems involving dosages, Critical Thinking Scenarios, a discussion of the concepts regarding safety issues with medication administration and calculation, plus significant updates in the insulin, critical care, parenteral medication, and heparin chapters.
- NEW! A-Z medication index references page numbers where the drug labels can be found.
- NEW! Medication labels recently added to the market highlights new and updated information relevant to practice.
Unit One: Math Review Pre-Test 1. Roman Numerals 2. Fractions 3. Decimals 4. Ratio and Proportion 5. Percentages Post-Test
Unit Two: Systems of Measurement 6. Metric System 7. Apothecary and Household Systems 8. Converting Within and Between Systems 9. Additional Conversions Useful in the Health Care Setting
Unit Three: Methods of Administration and Calculation 10. Medication Administration 11. Understanding and Interpreting Medication Orders 12. Medication Administration Records and Drug Distribution Systems 13. Reading Medication Labels 14. Dosage Calculation Using the Ratio and Proportion Method 15. Dosage Calculation Using the Formula Method 16. Dosage Calculation Using the Dimensional Analysis Method
Unit Four: Oral and Parenteral Dosage Forms, Insulin and Pediatric Dosage Calculations 17. Calculation of Oral Medications 18. Parenteral Medications 19. Reconstitution of Solutions 20. Insulin
Unit Five: Intravenous, Heparin, and Critical Care Calculations and Pediatric Dosage Calculations 21: Intravenous Solutions and Equipment 22. Basic Intravenous Calculations 23. Heparin Calculations 24. Critical Care Calculations 25. Pediatric and Adult Dosage Calculation Based on Weight
Comprehensive Post-Test Bibliography Appendix A: Apothecary System Appendix B: FDA and ISMP Lists of Look-Alike Drug Names with Recommended Tall Man Letters Appendix C: TJC Do Not Use List of Abbreviations Appendix D: ISMP List of Error-Prone Abbreviations, Symbols, and Dose Designations Appendix E: ISMP List of High-Alert Medication in Acute Care Settings Drug Label Index Index
Deborah C. Gray Morris, RN, BSN, MA, LNC, Professor of Nursing, Department of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences, Bronx Community College, Bronx, NY