Drain's PeriAnesthesia Nursing – Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Trusted for 30 years, Drain’s PeriAnesthesia Nursing, A Critical Care Approach, 7th Edition is the only book on the market that provides comprehensive clinical content tailored specifically for perianesthesia nurses. An easy-to-use format with five distinct sections — covering the PACU, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations — means you get five books in one. Nursing and pharmacologic interventions are integrated with in-depth coverage of pathophysiology, and updated content includes the latest standards and current issues affecting perianesthesia nursing practice. Focusing on research, documentation, and psychosocial considerations, this is the one book that can take you all the way from being a novice nurse in the PACU to preparing for your CPAN® or CAPA® certification!
- Updated Evidence-based Research boxes in sections IV and V provide the latest standards of care.
- Five separate sections provide comprehensive coverage, including: the PACU, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, nursing care, and special considerations.
- Addresses current policies and issues affecting perianesthesia nursing practice such as patient safety, infection control, managed care implications, pain management, and bioterrorism.
- Special Considerations section details the care of patients with conditions such as malignant hyperthermia, substance abuse, sickle cell anemia, and cardiac arrest.
- Comprehensively covers the various types of anesthetic agents to be anticipated in the PACU.
- In-depth coverage of pathophysiology for all body systems integrated with nursing and pharmacologic interventions.
- Streamlined format includes an overview, definitions, summary, and references for each chapter.
- NEW and EXPANDED! Updated content covers the latest evidence and standards, including new sedation and pain guidelines, new information on older patients, implications of new surgical techniques, and more bariatric implications.
- NEW and UPDATED! New illustrations and thoroughly updated references throughout.
Section I: The Postanesthesia Care Unit 1. Space Planning and Basic Equipment Systems 2. Perianesthesia Nursing as a Specialty 3. Management and Policies 4. Crisis Resource Management in the PACU 5. Infection Prevention and Control in the PACU 6. The Changing Health Care System and its Implications for the PACU 7. Patient Safety and Legal Issues in the PACU 8. Ethics in Perianesthesia Nursing 9. Evidence-Based Practice and Research
Section II: Physiologic Considerations in the PACU 10. The Nervous System 11. The Cardiovascular System 12. The Respiratory System 13. The Renal System 14. Fluid and Electrolytes 15. The Endocrine System 16. The Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal System 17. The Integumentary System 18. The Immune System
Section III: Concepts in Anesthetic Agents 19. Basic Principles of Pharmacology 20. Inhalation Anesthesia 21. Nonopioid Intravenous Anesthetics 22. Opioid Intravenous Anesthetics 23. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents 24. Local Anesthetics 25. Regional Anesthesia
Section IV: Nursing Care in the PACU 26. Transition from the Operating Room to the PACU 27. Assessment and Monitoring of the Perianesthesia Patient 28. Patient Education and Care of the Perianesthesia Patient 29. Postanesthesia Care Complications 30. Assessment and Management of the Airway 31. Pain Management 32. Care of the Ear, Nose, Throat, Neck, and Maxillofacial Surgical Patient 33. Care of the Ophthalmic Surgical Patient 34. Care of the Thoracic Surgical Patient 35. Care of the Cardiac Surgical Patient 36. Care of the Vascular Surgical Patient 37. Care of the Orthopedic Surgical Patient 38. Care of the Neurosurgical Patient 39. Care of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgical Patient 40. Care of the Gastrointestinal, Abdominal, and Anorectal Surgical Patient 41. Care of the Genitourinary Surgical Patient 42. Care of the Obstetric and Gynecological Surgical Patient 43. Care of the Breast Surgical Patient 44. Care of the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Patient 45. Care of the Obese Patient Undergoing Bariatric Surgery 46. Care of the Ambulatory Surgical Patient 47. Care and the Laser/Laparoscopic Surgical Patient
Section V: Special Considerations 48. Care of the Patient with Chronic Disorders 49. Care of the Pediatric Patient 50. Care of the Older Patient 51. Care of the Pregnant Patient 52. Care of the Substance-Using Patient 53. Care of the Patient with Thermal Imbalance 54. Care of the Shock Trauma Patient 55. Care of the Intensive Care Unit Patient in the PACU 56. Bioterrorism and Its Impact on the PACU 57. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in the PACU
Jan Odom-Forren, MS, RN, PhD, CPAN, FAAN, Perianesthesia / Perioperative Consultant, Co-Editor, Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, Louisville, KY