Sedation - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Learn how to safely sedate your dental patients and help control their anxiety with Sedation: A Guide to Patient Management, 6th Edition. Written by sedation expert Stanley Malamed, DDS, this concise guide combines essential theory with "how-to" technical instruction to help you master basic techniques in dental sedation and anxiety control. This new sixth edition also incorporates the latest guidelines from the ADA and the American Society of Anesthesiologists, along with vivid images of the most current equipment and procedures used in dental practice today. There is also detailed discussion on how to modify typical treatment protocol to successfully treat different patient populations — including pediatric, geriatric, physically compromised, and medically compromised patients. In all, this is a must-have guide for keeping up to date on the latest techniques in dental sedation and anxiety.
- The latest practice guidelines established by the ADA and the American Society of Anesthesiologists for sedation by non-anesthesiologists are included throughout the text.
- Comprehensive coverage combines all aspects of sedation with essential theory and instruction to cover all the information needed to provide safe and effective dental care.
- Expert authorship from Stanley Malamed, DDS, provides readers with experienced guidance across all areas of sedation dentistry and local anesthesia.
- Summary tables and boxes support visual learners and serve as useful review and study tools.
- Coverage of all potential patient groups details how to manage the pain and anxiety of pediatric, geriatric, physically compromised, and medically compromised patients in addition to the subtle changes that may be needed in normal treatment protocol.
- NEW! Extensive content revisions incorporate the most up-to-date information on the advances in sedation dentistry including the latest research, clinical experience, and literature.
- NEW! Updated photos and art reflect the latest equipment and procedures used in dental practice today.
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION 1. Pain and Anxiety in Dentistry
SECTION II: SPECTRUM OF PAIN AND ANXIETY CONTROL 2. Introduction to Sedation 3. The Spectrum of Pain and Anxiety Control 4. Physical and Psychological Evaluation 5. Monitoring during Sedation 6. Nondrug Techniques: Iatrosedation and Hypnosis
SECTION III: ORAL, RECTAL, AND INTRAMUSCULAR SEDATION 7. Oral Sedation 8. Rectal Sedation 9. Sublingual, Transdermal, and Intranasal Sedation 10. Intramuscular Sedation
SECTION IV: INHALATION SEDATION 11. Inhalation Sedation: Historical Perspective 12. Pharmacosedation: Rationale 13. Pharmacology, Anatomy, and Physiology 14. Inhalation Sedation Equipment 15. Inhalation Sedation: Techniques of Administration 16. Inhalation Sedation: Complications 17. Contemporary Issues Surrounding Nitrous Oxide 18. Practical Considerations 19. Teaching Inhalation Sedation: History and Present Guidelines SECTION V: INTRAVENOUS SEDATION 20. Intravenous Sedation: Historical Perspective 21. Intravenous Moderate Sedation: Rationale 22. Armamentarium 23. Anatomy for Venipuncture 24. Venipuncture Technique 25. Pharmacology 26. Intravenous Moderate Sedation: Techniques of Administration 27. Intravenous Sedation: Complications 28. Practical Considerations 29. Guidelines for Teaching
SECTION VI: GENERAL ANESTHESIA 30. Fundamentals of General Anesthesia 31. Armamentarium, Drugs, and Techniques
SECTION VII: EMERGENCY PREPARATION AND MANAGEMENT 32. Preparation for Emergencies 33. Emergency Drugs and Equipment 34. Management of Emergencies
SECTION VIII: SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS 35. The Pediatric Patient 36. The Geriatric Patient 37. The Medically Compromised Patient 38. The Physically Compromised Patient 39. Neurologic Illnesses and Other Conditions 40. Medicolegal considerations 41. The Controversial Development of Anesthesiology in Dentistry
Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA