Workbook for Health Insurance Today, 6th Edition
Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 6th Edition, this workbook lets students practice the skills they will need to succeed as a health insurance professional. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the text, and learning activities and exercises challenge students to apply their knowledge to real-world situations. This new edition incorporates the latest information surrounding ICD-10, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and other timely federal influencers. Additionally, application exercises, critical thinking activities, and case studies allow students to apply critical thinking skills to solve a problem or answer a question.
- Performance objectives include hands-on, application-based learning activities with practice in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out "Release to Return to Work" forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Critical thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations. Includes Stop and Think exercises which allow you to apply critical thinking skills to problem solving.
- Defining Chapter Terms activities help you review and understand key terms in each chapter.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge of text content with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Problem solving/collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the health care field.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
- NEW! Up-to-date information on all topics including key coverage of Medicare, Electronic Health Records, and Version 5010.
- NEW! Expanded ICD-10 coverage and removal of all ICD-9 content other than as reference material ensures you stay up-to-date on these significant healthcare system changes.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation 1. The Origins of Health Insurance 2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional 3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance 4. Healthcare Reform: Coverage Types and Sources
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics 5. Claim Submission Methods 6. New and Traditional Reimbursement Methods 7. The Changing Face of Medicare 8. Understanding Medicaid 9. Conquering Medicare’s Challenges 10. Military Carriers 11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Workers’ Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes 12. Diagnostic Coding 13. Procedural, Evaluation and Management, and HCPCS Coding Unit 4: The Claims Process 14. The Patient 15. Keys to Successful Claims Management
Unit 5: Advanced Application 16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance 17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid 18. Hospital Billing and the UB-04
Janet I. Beik, AA, BA, MEd, Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, IA, USA