Workbook for Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,10th Edition
What do I need to know? Why do I need to know it? And how will I use it? Focusing on the most important concepts in the Egan's 10th Edition text, this workbook helps you answer these questions and develop a deeper understanding of respiratory care through real-life examples, key points, and a wide range of activities.
- Chapter-specific exercises offer various activities, such as exercises on ethics, equipment, and mathematics.
- Word Wizard tests your knowledge of key terms.
- Meet the Objectives gives you a way to assess your learning.
- Key Points identify key concepts from the chapter.
- Case studies help you practice critical thinking.
- Food for Thought offers thought-provoking tips and questions.
- Information Age highlights all the resources available to you on the web.
- A Picture is Worth (including Pneumo-nuggets) features a mixture of labeling exercises and "nuggets" of information in the form of tips or questions.
- Updated content reflects the changes in the 10th edition of the text.
- 20% more NBRC-style questions help you pass the NBRC examination.
- More critical-thinking/essay questions allow you to apply your learning.
I. Foundations of Respiratory Care 1. History of Respiratory Care 2. Quality and Evidence-Based Respiratory Care 3. Patient Safety, Communication and Recordkeeping 4. Principles of Infection Control 5. Ethical and Legal Implications of Practice 6. Physical Principles of Respiratory Care 7. Computer Applications in Respiratory Care
II. Applied Anatomy and Physiology 8. The Respiratory System 9. The Cardiovascular System 10. Ventilation 11. Gas Exchange and Transport 12. Solutions, Body Fluids, and Electrolytes 13. Acid-Base Balance 14. Regulation of Breathing
III. Assessment of the Respiratory Care Patient
15. Bedside Assessment of the Patient 16. Interpretation of Clinical Laboratory Data 17. Interpreting the Electrocardiogram 18. Analasis and Monitoring of Gas Exchange 19. Pulmonary Function Testing 20. A Synopsis of Thoracic Imaging 21. Nutrition Assessment
IV. Review of Cardiopulmonary Disease 22. Pulmonary Infections 23. Obstructive Lung Disease: COPD, Asthma, and Related Diseases 24. Interstitial Lung Disease 25. Pleural Diseases 26. Pulmonary Vascular Disease 27. Acute Lung Injury, Pulmonary Edema and Multiple System Organ Failure 28. Lung Cance 29. Neuromuscular and Other Diseases of the Chest Wall 30. Disorders of Sleep 31. Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Disorders
V. Basic Therapeutics 32. Airway Pharmacology 33. Airway Management 34. Emergency Cardiovascular Life Support 35. Humidity and Bland Aerosol Therapy 36. Aerosol Drug Therapy 37. Storage and Delivery of Medical Gases 38. Medical Gas Therapy 39. Lung Expansion Therapy 40. Bronchial Hygiene Therapy
VI. Acute and Critical Care 41. Respiratory Failure and the Need for Ventilatory Support 42. Mechanical Ventilators 43. Physiology of Ventilatory Support 44. Initiating and Adjusting Ventilatory Support 45. Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation 46. Monitoring and Management of the Patient in the Intensive Care Unit 47. Discontinuing Ventilatory Support 48. Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care
VII. Preventative and Long-Term Care 49. Patient Education and Health Promotion 50. Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 51. Respiratory Care in Alternative Settings
Robert M. Kacmarek, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Professor of Anesthesiology, Harvard Medical School; Director, Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA