Illustrated Anatomy of the Head and Neck - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Known for its top-notch artwork and readable writing style, Illustrated Anatomy of the Head and Neck, 5th Edition, provides dental assisting and dental hygiene students with complete coverage of head and neck anatomy, plus detailed discussions of the temporomandibular joint and its role in dental health, the anatomy of local anesthesia, and the spread of dental infection. Chapters are organized by anatomical systems of study and include expanded review questions that help prepare you for classroom and board examinations. Combine this new edition with its companion title, Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy, and you will have a solid foundation of basic scientific knowledge that ties to everyday clinical dental practice.
- Identification exercises at the end of each chapter ask you to label the different structures to test your knowledge of anatomy.
- Multiple-choice review questions end each chapter and prepare you for board examinations in dental assisting and dental hygiene.
- Comprehensive coverage provides a solid foundation in head and neck anatomy, with an in-depth discussion of the TMJ and its role in dental health, plus additional material on the anatomy of local anesthesia and the spread of dental infection.
- Conversational writing style ensures that you easily comprehend complex anatomy and clinical application.
- Chapters are organized by anatomical systems of study so that discussions progress logically from overviews of the area to the specifics related to the head and neck, providing a solid foundation for learning.
- Detailed anatomical illustrations and clear, colorful photographs show models and patients within a clinical setting to support text descriptions and help ensure comprehension.
- Award-winning and trusted author Margaret Fehrenbach curates cutting-edge content and the latest evidence-based information.
- Key terms and their phonetic pronunciations are highlighted within the chapter and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
- A how-to appendix with accompanying photos shows you the steps to perform extraoral and intraoral patient examinations.
- Learning objectives open each chapter with goals to be accomplished, and serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and exam preparedness.
- NEW and UPDATED! New content and updated chapter discussions include evidence-based information on local anesthesia administration and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
- EXPANDED! Additional end-of-chapter review questions help you assess strengths and weaknesses — and prepare for classroom and board examinations.
- EXPANDED and REORGANIZED! Clinical content is now woven into the text discussions and expanded within chapters to help reinforce its application to dental treatment, strengthen your critical thinking skills, and better prepare you for clinical encounters.
- EXPANDED! 36 removable color flashcards offer on-the-go study, with key images on one side and corresponding labels on the back.
1. Introduction to Head and Neck Anatomy
2. Surface Anatomy
3. Skeletal System
4. Muscular System
5. Temporomandibular Joint
6. Vascular System
7. Glandular Tissue
8. Nervous System
9. Anatomy of Local Anesthesia
10. Lymphatic System
11. Fascia and Spaces
12. Spread of Dental Infection
Appendix A: Bibliography
Appendix B: Procedures for the Performance of Extraoral and Intraoral Examinations
Glossary of Key Terms and Anatomical Structures
Margaret J. Fehrenbach, RDH, MS, Dental Hygiene Educational Consultant,Oral Biology Technical Writer,Adjunct Faculty,Seattle Central College,Seattle, Washington and Susan W. Herring, PhD, Professor of Orthodontics and Oral Health Sciences,School of Dentistry,Adjunct Professor of Biological Structure,School of Medicine,Adjunct Professor of Biology,College of Arts and Sciences,University of Washington,Seattle, Washington