Modern Dental Assisting, 12th Edition
Keep your course at the forefront on dental assisting with the most comprehensive, most current, and most trusted text available. For more than 40 years, instructors, students, and practitioners alike have relied on Modern Dental Assisting for its cutting-edge content, easy-to-grasp writing style, step-by-step procedures, top-notch visuals, and engaging learning features to master all aspects of dental assisting. The 12th edition includes a brand-new illustration program, improved instructor resources, and thoroughly updated information in the areas of new technology, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and much more. Written by the expert dental assisting team of Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, this is the all-in-one instructional resource your program needs to take students seamlessly from their first day of class all the way to their first jobs in dental assisting.
- Comprehensive, cutting edge content provides a single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- Step-by-step procedures use color coding, key-step icons, and clinical photos to demonstrate key dental assisting competencies for both general and expanded functions — detailing for each the equipment and supplies, chronological steps, and rationales.
- 70 procedural videos with questions and answers provide you with unlimited practice for clinical encounters.
- UNIQUE! Interactive Dental Office program features 25 in-depth case studies with questions, online periodontal charting, and radiographic mounting exercises to help you problem-solve their way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures.
- Recall and Critical Thinking questions in each chapter as well as self-assessment questions and an online mock exam provide robust opportunities for practice and application.
- Feature boxes on CDC guidelines, patient education, law and ethics, and future trends summarize recommendations and key applications in practice.
- Chapter key terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter, highlighted within text discussions, and cross-referenced to chapters within the glossary.
- Learning and performance outcomes help you focus on goals, serve as checkpoints for comprehension and skills mastery, and provide study tools for exam preparation.
- NEW! Content on the latest topics affecting dental assisting practice includes technological advancements, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and much more.
- Revised art program provides vivid original renderings of dental anatomy tooth morphology and dental imaging, along with modern and improved photos of the latest products, equipment, and instruments.
PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession
1. History of Dentistry
2. The Professional Dental Assistant
3. The Dental Healthcare Team
4. Dental Ethics
5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry
6. General Anatomy
7. General Physiology
8. Oral Embryology and Histology
9. Head and Neck Anatomy
10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity
11. Overview of the Dentitions
12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease
13. Dental Caries
14. Periodontal Disease
15. Preventive Dentistry
17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry
19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention
20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection
21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization
PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety
22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies
23. Chemical and Waste Management
24. Dental Unit Waterlines
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment
26. The Patient’s Dental Record
27. Vital Signs
28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient
30. Principles of Pharmacology
31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry
32. The Dental Office
33. Delivering Dental Care
34. Dental Hand Instruments
35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories
36. Moisture Control
37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging
38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety
39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs
40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention
41. Intraoral Imaging
42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials
43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials
44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems
45. Dental Cements
46. Impression Materials
47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures
PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care
48. General Dentistry
49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry
50. Fixed Prosthodontics
51. Provisional Coverage
52. Removable Prosthodontics
53. Dental Implants
56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
57. Pediatric Dentistry
58. Coronal Polishing
59. Dental Sealants
PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills
61. Communication in the Dental Office
62. Business Operating Systems
63. Financial Management in the Dental Office
64. Marketing Your Skills
Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Faculty, Allied Dental Education Program, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Research Assistant Professor and Research Study Coordinator, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC