The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing, 2017/2018 Edition,
Mastering advanced medical coding skills is easier with Carol J. Buck's proven, step-by-step method! The Next Step: Advanced Medical Coding and Auditing, 2017/2018 Edition shows how to code for services such as medical visits, diagnostic testing and interpretation, treatments, surgeries, and anesthesia. Real-world cases take your outpatient coding skills a step further by providing hands-on practice with physician documentation. With this guide from coding author and educator Carol J. Buck, you will learn to confidently pull the right information from medical documents, select the right codes, determine the correct sequencing of those codes, and properly audit cases.
- Real-world patient cases (cleared of any patient identifiers) simulate the first year of coding on the job by using actual medical records.
- UNIQUE! From the Trenches boxes highlight the real-life experiences of professional medical coders and include photographs, quotes, practical tips, and advice.
- UNIQUE! Evaluation and Management (E/M) audit forms include clear coding instructions to help reduce errors in determining the correct level of service.
- Nearly 200 full-color illustrations depict and clarify advanced coding concepts.
- Coding updates and tips are also provided on the Evolve companion website.
- UPDATED content includes the latest coding information available, for accurate coding and success on the job.
- NEW! Additional Netter’s anatomy illustrations provide visual orientation and enhance understanding of specific coding situations.
1. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services
4. Pathology and Laboratory
5. Integumentary System
6. Cardiovascular System
7. Digestive System, Hemic/Lymphatic System, and Mediastinum/Diaphragm
8. Musculoskeletal System
9. Respiratory System
10. Urinary, Male Genital, and Endocrine Systems
11. Female Genital System and Maternity Care/Delivery
12. Nervous System
13. Eye and Auditory Systems
Appendix A: E/M Audit Form
Appendix B: CMS AB-01-44
Appendix C: Resources
Appendix D: Abbreviations
Appendix E: Answers to every other case
Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN