Essentials of Dental Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Focusing on the core clinical skills and knowledge necessary to become a practicing dental assistant, Essentials of Dental Assisting, 6th Edition, is the perfect resource to help you succeed in this fast-paced program. Fully updated to include the latest procedures and trends, this practice resource has been specifically designed and written to help you easily grasp the most important information. Plus, with its vivid step-by-step procedures, practical application exercises, learning aids, and built-in study tools, you’ll have the everything you need to master the essential skills and start a successful and rewarding career as a dental assistant!
- Focus on Clinical Dental Assisting provides essential information on core skills and procedures.
- Cutting-edge content and approachable writing style ensure that you learn to perform the most up-to-date practices.
- Easy-to-follow organization offers 29 succinct chapters that move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, chair-side treatment foundations, and patient care in general and specific dentistry.
- Step-by-step procedures of skills dental assistants must master feature a consistent format that includes a goal, equipment, chronological steps, and rationales, supplemented liberally with photos to einforce explanations and icons to identify key issues.
- Exam practice includes review questions at the end of each chapter and a practice exam online to help you test your understanding of chapter content and prepare for classroom and board exams.
- Apply Your Knowledge boxes encourage you to assimilate the chapter content and apply it to common situations in the practice setting.
- Ethical Implications at the end of each chapter’s narrative encourage students to focus on the legal and ethical behaviors they will need to practice to protect themselves, their patients, and the practices for which they work.
- Key terminology begins each chapter and is highlighted within text discussions.
- Learning objectives help you set goals for accomplishment and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension.
- NEW! Updated chapter discussions provide additional information on dynamic areas such as the electronic health record, impact of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), preventive techniques, and the new hazard communication standard.
- NEW! Revised photos and illustrations feature more modern illustrations and newer products and equipment.
- NEW! 10 new and 20 revised video clips feature significant changes in the dental imaging and dental materials sections of the comprehensive video collection – now with 70 video clips in total.
PART 1: The Profession 1. Introduction to Dental Assisting 2. Professional and Legal Aspects of Dental Assisting
PART 2: The Sciences 3. Anatomy and Physiology 4. Dental Anatomy
PART 3: Infection Prevention and Hazardous Materials 5. Disease Transmission 6. Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials 7. Surface Disinfection and Treatment Room Preparation 8. Instrument Processing
PART 4: Dental Treatment 9. Clinical Dentistry 10. Moisture Control
PART 5: Patient Care 11. The Dental Patient 12. The Dental Examination 13. Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office 14. Pain and Anxiety Control
PART 6: Dental Imaging 15. Radiation Safety and Production of X-Rays 16. Oral Radiology
PART 7: Preventive Dentistry 17. Preventive Care 18. Coronal Polishing and Dental Sealants
PART 8: Restorative Dentistry 19. Instruments, Handpieces, and Accessories 20. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials 21. Restorative Procedures 22. Impression Materials and Laboratory Procedures 23. Prosthodontics and Dental Implants
PART 9: Specialized Dentistry 24. Periodontics 25. Endodontics 26. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 27. Pediatric Dentistry 28. Orthodontics
PART 10: Preparation for Employment 29. The Job Search
Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Former Research Associate, Department of Nutrition Gillings School of Global Public Health University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Former Director, Dental Education Programs, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California; Former Director, Dental Assisting Program University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico