Small Animal Surgery,5th Edition
From basic procedures like spays, castrations, and declaws to advanced surgeries like craniotomy, vertal slots, and lung lobectomy, Fossum’s Small Animal Surgery, 5th Edition is the go-to, full-color guide for everything that general veterinarians and vet students need to know about both soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. Five editors bring their expert perspective as they discuss the latest advances in key areas such as imaging modalities, regenerative medicine, minimally invasive surgery, and neurology. With each book adoption, you’ll also have access to the Expert Consult website, which includes a fully searchable version of the book plus step-by-step video clips and animations of surgical procedures, aftercare instruction handouts, case presentations, references linked to full text articles on PubMed, and an extensive image collection. There is no better resource to keep you up to date on the latest advances and techniques in small animal surgery!
- Well illustrated, step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques provide quick reference to practical how-to information in emergency and clinical situations.
- Anesthesia Protocols offer easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
- Coverage of cutting-edge imaging techniques, including radiographs, CT, MRI, and digital imaging, explores the most useful imaging modalities for demonstrating areas of surgical concern.
- Clinical tips boxes provide at-a-glance surgical and practice tips.
- Postsurgical care instructions provide customizable client aftercare handouts for many of the procedures in the book.
- Reference links to PubMed grant access to full-text articles.
- NEW! Expanded sections on thoracoscopy, arthroscopy, and laparoscopy reflect the significant growth in minimally invasive procedures in vet medicine.
- NEW! Significantly revised section on joint disease includes additional techniques and procedures.
- NEW! Revised chapter on regenerative medicine emphasizes application of stem cell and regenerative medicine technologies to clinical patients.
- NEW! Increased emphasis on differential diagnosis helps you learn how to avoid misdiagnoses that result in unnecessary surgery with the inclusion of boxes covering disorders that may mimic the more commonly encountered surgical neurologic problems that are not actual disorders requiring surgical repair.
- NEW! Correlation boxes highlight the advances in veterinary medicine that correlate with human medicine.
- NEW! Expanded chapter on neurologic examination cover how to perform a proper neurologic exam to detect problems in cats and dogs.
- NEW! Step-by-step procedure videos that walk through both basic and advanced procedures have been added to this new edition.
- NEW! Aftercare instructions and rarely performed procedures have been added to the Expert Consult.
Part 1: General Surgical Principles 1. Principles of Surgical Asepsis 2. Care and Handling of Surgical Equipment and Supplies 3. Surgical Facilities and Maintenance of the Surgical Environment 4. Preoperative and Intraoperative Care of the Surgical Patient 5. Preparation of the Operative Site 6. Preparation of the Surgical Team 7. Surgical Instrumentation 8. Biomaterials, Suturing and Suture Patterns 9. Surgical Infections and Antibiotic Selection 10. Nutritional Management of the Surgical Patient 11. Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation 12. Principles of Anesthesia and Anesthetics 13. Pain Management and Acupuncture 14. Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Regenerative Medicine
Part II: Soft Tissue Surgery 15. Surgery of the Integumentary System 16. Surgery of the Eye 17. Surgery of the Ear 18. Surgery of the Digestive System 19. Surgery of the Liver 20. Surgery of the Extrahepatic Biliary System 21. Surgery of the Endocrine System 22. Surgery of the Hemolymphatic System 23. Surgery of the Kidney and Ureter 24. Surgery of the Bladder and Urethra 25. Surgery of the Reproductive and Genital Systems 26. Surgery of the Cardiovascular System 27. Surgery of the Upper Respiratory System 28. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Lungs and Thoracic Wall 29. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Pleural Cavity and Diaphragm
Part III: Orthopedics 30. Fundamentals of Orthopedic Surgery and Fracture Management 31. Management of Specific Fractures 32. Diseases of the Joints 33. Management of Muscle and Tendon Injury or Disease 34. Other Diseases of Bones and Joints
Part IV: Neurosurgery 35. Neurodiagnostic Overview for the Small Animal Surgeon 36. Neurologic Examination and Relevant Neuroanatomy 37. Surgery of the Brain 38. Surgery of the Cervical Spine 39. Surgery of the Thoracolumbar Spine 40. Surgery of the Cauda Equina 41. Nonsurgical Disorders of the Brain and Spine 42. Peripheral Nervous System Disorders
Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVS, Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Diplomate ACVS,Vice President of Research and Strategic Initiatives,Professor of Veterinary Surgery,Midwestern University,Glendale, AZ 85308