Nurse Anesthesia - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Gain a thorough understanding of nursing anesthesia with the most comprehensive text on the market. Written by leading expert, John Nagelhout, CRNA, PhD, FAAN, and new contributing author Sass Elisha, EdD, CRNA, Nurse Anesthesia, 6th Edition features both scientific principles and evidence-based material. Inside you’ll find a solid introduction to the history, education, and legal issues of nurse anesthetist, its scientific foundations, equipment and monitoring, and preoperative evaluation and preparation of the patient. This new edition includes chapters on patient centered care and cultural competence, additional drugs of interest, blood and blood component therapy, anesthesia management for patients with cardiac devices, anesthesia for robotic surgery, anesthesia for transplant surgery and organ procurement, and physiology and management of acute and chronic pain. Not only a key reference for practicing nurse anesthetists, this bestseller prepares you for certification and today's clinical anesthesia practice.
- New coverage includes the latest specifics of pharmacokinetics, drug delivery systems, opiate antagonists, and key induction drugs.
- Updated information on patient safety, monitoring, and pharmacology.
- Unique! Expert CRNA authors provide the current clinical information that you will use in daily practice.
- Over 700 tables and boxes highlight the most essential information in a quick, easy-to-reference format.
- Easy-to-use organization covers basic principles first, and builds on those with individual chapters for each surgical specialty.
- Updated TJC standards for monitoring and administering moderate sedation/analgesia.
- NEW! Expanded content includes; non-OR anesthesia, acute and chronic pain management, anesthesia implications of complementary and alternative medicine, robotic surgery, new and less invasive procedures in interventional radiography, implications of modern implanted cardiac devices, and more!
- NEW! Full-color design and figures clarify difficult concepts and give the text a contemporary look and feel.
- NEW! Co-author Sass Elisha brings a fresh perspective to this edition.
Unit I: Professional Issues 1. Nurse Anesthesia: A History of Challenge 2. Nurse Anesthesia Specialty Practice and Education in the United States 3. Patient Centered Care, Cultural Competence and Nurse Anesthesia Practice
Unit II: Scientific Foundations 4. Nurse Anesthesia Research: Empowering Decision Making Through Evidence Based Practice 5. General Principles, Pharmacodynamics, and Drug Receptor Concepts 6. Pharmacokinetics 7. Pharmacokinetics of Inhalation Anesthetics 8. Inhalation Anesthetics 9. Intravenous Induction Agents 10. Local Anesthetics 11. Opioid Agonists and Antagonists 12. Neuromuscular Blocking Agents, Reversal Agents, and Their Monitoring 13. Autonomic and Cardiac Pharmacology 14. Additional Drugs of Interest 15. Chemistry and Physics of Anesthesia
Unit III: Technology Related to Anesthesia Practice 16. Anesthesia Equipment 17. Clinical Monitoring I: Cardiovascular System 18. Clinical Monitoring II: Respiratory and Metabolic Systems 19. Clinical Monitoring III: Neurologic System
Unit IV: Preoperative Preparation 20. Preoperative Evaluation and Preparation of the Patient
Unit V: Intraoperative Management 21. Fluids, Electrolytes, and Goal-Directed Therapy 22. Blood and Blood Component Therapy 23. Positioning for Anesthesia and Surgery 24. Airway Management 25. Cardiovascular Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Anesthesia Management 26. Anesthesia for Cardiac Surgery 27. Anesthesia Management for Patients with Cardiac Devices 28. Anesthesia for Vascular Surgery 29. Respiratory Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Anesthesia Management 30. Anesthesia for Thoracic Surgery 31. Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, and Neuroanesthesia 32. Renal Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Anesthesia Management 33. Hepatobiliary and Gastrointestinal Disturbances and Anesthesia 34. Anesthesia for Laparoscopic Surgery 35. Anesthesia for Robotic Surgery 36. Musculoskeletal System Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Anesthesia Management 37. The Endocrine System and Anesthesia 38. Hematology and Anesthesia 39. Thermal Injury and Anesthesia 40. Trauma Anesthesia 41. Anesthesia for Transplant Surgery and Organ Procurement 42. Outpatient Anesthesia 43. Anesthesia for Ear, Nose, Throat, and Maxillofacial Surgery 44. Anesthesia for Ophthalmic Procedures 45. Anesthesia for Orthopedics and Podiatry 46. The Immune System and Anesthesia 47. Anesthesia and Laser Surgery 48. Obesity and Anesthesia Practice 49. Regional Anesthesia: Spinal and Epidural Anesthesia 50. Regional Anesthesia: Upper and Lower Extremity Blocks 51. Obstetric Anesthesia 52. Neonatal Anesthesia 53. Pediatric Anesthesia 54. Geriatrics and Anesthesia Practice 55. Postanesthesia Recovery 56. Acute Pain: Physiology and Management 57. Chronic Pain: Physiology and Management 58. Non-Operating Room Anesthesia 59. Anesthesia Complications
John J. Nagelhout, CRNA, PhD, FAAN, Director, School of Anesthesia, Kaiser Permanente, California State University-Fullerton, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Pasadena, CA and Karen Plaus, PhD, CRNA, FAAN, Chief Executive Officer, National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists, Chicago, IL