Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 11th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Use this authoritative guide as an on-the-job reference — and to prepare for the CPFT and RPFT credentialing examinations! Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 11th Edition provides comprehensive coverage of common pulmonary function tests, testing techniques, and the pathophysiology that may be evaluated by each test. It also includes information on equipment, computers, and quality assurance, so you can develop the testing skills you need to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions including asthma, COPD, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Written by Carl Mottram, a well-known expert in pulmonary function procedures, this bestselling guide helps you get accurate test results every time.
- Entry- and Advanced-Level objectives prepare you for success on the Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist and Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist credentialing examinations, and follow the content guidelines suggested by the CPFT and RPFT exam matrices from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- How To boxes provide step-by-step guidelines to performing pulmonary function tests, taking the guesswork out of completing accurate and result-producing tests.
- PFT Tips highlight and reinforce the most important Pulmonary Function Testing information in every chapter.
- Case studies provide problem-solving challenges for common clinical cases, including each case history, PFT testing results, a technologist’s comments, and questions and answers.
- Convenient study features include key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, suggested readings, a glossary, and self-assessment questions.
- Authoritative, comprehensive resource conveys state-of-the-art information, and eliminates the need to search for information in other sources.
- Criteria for acceptability and repeatability are included in each test section, as well as interpretive strategies to help you adhere to recognized testing standards.
- NEW! UPDATED content reflects the latest guidelines, testing procedure recommendations, and interpretive strategies of the American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society as well as the newest guidelines for exercise testing from the American Thoracic Society/American College of Chest Physicians.
- NEW! Practice tests on the Evolve companion website help you apply the knowledge learned in the text.
- NEW! Summary Points at the end of chapters reinforce important entry-level and advanced-level concepts.
1. Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing
3. Diffusing Capacity Tests
4. Lung Volumes, Airway Resistance and Gas Distribution Tests
5. Ventilation and Ventilatory Control Tests
6. Blood Gases and Related Tests
7. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
8. Pediatric Pulmonary Function Tests
9. Bronchoprovocation Testing
10. Specialized Test Regimens
11. Pulmonary Function Test Equipment
12. Quality Systems in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
13. Reference Values and Interpretation Strategies
Appendix A: Answers to Self-Assessment Questions
Carl Mottram, BA, RRT, RPFT, FAARC, Technical Director Pulmonary Function Labs and Rehabilitation Associate Professor of Medicine Mayo Clinic College of Medicine Rochester, Minnesota