Workbook for Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician - Elsevier eBook on VST (Retail Access Card)
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
- Comprehensive chapter-by-chapter companion to the textbook.
- Over 75 procedure checklists allow self-evaluation of skill mastery for safe patient care.
- Wide variety of exercises enhance learning, including multiple-choice and ordered response questions, true/false, short answer, and critical thinking exercises.
- Practice tests allows students to prepare for certification exams.
Unit 1: Introduction to Health Care
1. Today's Health Care 2. The Role of the Patient Care Technician 3. Professionalism and Work Ethics 4. Communicating with the Health Care Team
Unit 2: The Patient
5. Understanding the Patient as a Person 6. Patient Rights, Ethics and Laws 7. Body Structure and Function and Growth and Developement 8. Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
Unit 3: Safety
9. Infection Control 10. Workplace Safety and Body Mechanics 11. Patient Safety 12. Moving, Positioning, and Preventing Falls 13. Basic Emergency Care
Unit 4: Patient Assessment
14. Assisting with the Physical Examination 15. Measuring and Recording Vital Signs 16. Obtaining and Monitoring an Electrocardiogram
Unit 5: Patient Care and Comfort
17. Assisting with Admissions and Discharge 18. Bedmaking and Hygiene 19. Assisting With Grooming 20. Assisting With Nutrition and Fluids 21. Assisting With Urinary Elimination 22. Assisting With Bowel Elimination 23. Assisting with Oxygen Needs
Unit 6: Blood and Specimen Collecting and Testing
24. Blood Collecting and Processing 25. Specimen Collecting and Testing
Unit 7: Surgery and Immobility
26. Care of the Surgical Patient 27. Heat and Cold Applications 28. Care of Wounds and Pressure Ulcers 29. Rehabilitative and Restorative Care
Unit 8: Special Care Concerns and Settings
30. Care of Women and Children 31. Caring for Patients with Dementia 32. Caring for Patients with Special Needs 33. Caring for of the Patient with a Chronic Condition 34. End-of-Life Care
Skills Checklists Final Exam
Kimberly Townsend, PhD, RN, CNE, Chair, MSN Programs