Kinn's The Clinical Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 13th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Clinical Medical Assisting begins with Kinn! Elsevier’s Kinn’s The Clinical Medical Assistant, 13th Edition provides you with the real-world clinical skills that are essential to working in the modern medical office. An applied learning approach to the MA curriculum is threaded throughout each chapter to help you further develop the tactile and critical thinking skills necessary to assist with medications, diagnostic procedures, and surgeries. Paired with our adaptive solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation and HESI remediation and assessment, you will learn the leading skills of modern clinical medical assisting in the classroom!
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in the clinical setting.
- Clinical procedures integrated into the TOC provide you with a quick reference.
- Detailed learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions highlight what’s important in each chapter.
- Step-by-step procedures explain complex conditions and abstract concepts.
- Rationales for each procedure clarify the need for each step and explains why it’s being performed.
- Critical thinking applications test your understanding of the content.
- Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the clinical Medical Assistant's job.
- Threaded case scenarios help you apply concepts to realistic clinical situations.
- Portfolio builder helps you demonstrate clinical proficiency to potential employers.
- NEW! Chapter on The Health Record reviews how you will maintain and interact with the medical record.
- NEW! Chapter on Competency-Based Education helps you confidently prepare for today’s competitive job market.
- NEW! Clinical procedure videos help you to visualize and review key procedures.
Unit 1: Introduction to Clinical Medical Assisting 1. The Medical Assistant and Competency-Based Education 2. The Health Record 3. Infection Control 4. Patient Assessment 5. Patient Education 6. Nutrition and Health Promotion 7. Vital Signs 8. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit 2: Assisting with Medications 9. Principles of Pharmacology 10. Pharmacy Math 11. Administering Medications
Unit 3: Assisting with Medical Specialties 12. All-Hazard Preparedness and Assisting with Medical Emergencies 13. Assisting with Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology 14. Assisting in Dermatology 15. Assisting in Gastroenterology 16. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction 17. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology 18. Assisting in Pediatrics 19. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine 20. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health 21. Assisting in Endocrinology 22. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine 23. Assisting in Cardiology 24. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit 4: Diagnostic Procedures 25. Principles of Electrocardiography 26. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging 27. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory 28. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine 29. Assisting in Blood Collection 30. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood 31. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit 5: Assisting with Surgeries 32. Surgical Supplies and Instruments 33. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit 6: Career Development 34. Career Development and Life Skills
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Deborah B. Proctor, EdD, RN, CMA, Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA, Marti Garrels, MSA, MT(ASCP), CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Consultant, Retired Medical Assisting Program Director, Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Kirkland, Washington and Helen Mills, Helen Mills, RN, MSN, RMA, LXMO, AHI Medical Assisting Program Coordinator and Advisor Keiser University Port St. Lucie, Florida