Practical Guide to the Evaluation of Clinical Competence, 2nd Edition
- Each chapter provides practical suggestions and assessment models that can be implemented directly into training programs, tools that can be used to measure clinical performance, overviews of key educational theories, and strengths and weaknesses of every method.
- Guidelines that apply across the medical education spectrum allow you to implement the book’s methods in any educational situation.
- Expert Consult™ eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, videos, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
- New chapters on high-quality assessment of clinical reasoning and assessment of procedural competence, as well as a new chapter on practical approaches to feedback.
- Reorganized for ease of use, with expanded coverage of Milestones/Entrustable Professional Assessments (EPAs), cognitive assessment techniques, work-based procedural assessments, and frameworks.
- The expert editorial team, renowned leaders in assessment, is joined by global leader in medical education and clinical reasoning, Dr. Steven Durning.
- New Expert Consult material includes videos of medical interviewing scenarios and downloadable assessment tools.
Ch. 1 Assessment Challenges in the Era of Outcomes-Based Education
Ch. 2 Issues of Validity and Reliability for Assessments in Medical Education
Ch. 3 Evaluation Frameworks, Forms, and Global Rating Scales
Ch. 4 Direct Observation
Ch. 5 Direct Observation: Standardized Patients
Ch. 6 Using Written Exams to Assess Medical Knowledge and Its Application
Ch. 7 Assessing Clinical Reasoning in the Workplace
Ch. 8 Workplace-Based Assessment of Procedural Skills
Ch. 9 Evaluating Evidence-Based Practice
Ch. 10 Clinical Practice Review
Ch. 11 Multisource Feedback
Ch. 12 Simulation-Based Assessment
Ch. 13 Feedback and Coaching in Clinical Teaching and Learning
Ch. 14 Portfolios
Ch. 15 The Learner with a Problem or the Problem Learner? Working with Dyscompetent Learners
Ch. 16 Programmatic Evaluation
Eric S. Holmboe, MD, MACP, FRCP, Senior Vice PResident, Milestones Developlemt and Evaluation, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Chicago, IL; Professor Adjunct, Yale University, New Haven, CT; Adjunct Professor of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, Steven James Durning, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine and Pathology, Uniformed Services University of the Heatlh Sciences, Bethesda, MD and Richard E. Hawkins, MD, FACP, Vice President, Medical Education Outcomes, American Medical Association, Chicago, Illinois