Mosby's Oncology Nursing Advisor - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),2nd Edition
Get quick access to the most important information surrounding cancer and oncology nursing care with Mosby’s Oncology Nursing Advisor, 2nd Edition. Covering everything from the various types of cancer and cancer treatment options to patient education and nursing best-practices, this indispensable nursing guide is like getting seven books in one! Plus, its user-friendly layout and straightforward coverage make it ideal for use in any clinical setting. With 17 new chapters, updated evidence-based content throughout, and proven patient teaching handouts, this new edition offers the authoritative guidance you need to provide the best possible oncology nursing care.
- Detailed descriptions of over 50 major cancer types provide essential information on incidence, etiology and risk factors, signs and symptoms, diagnostic workup, histology, staging, treatment, prognosis, and prevention.
- Coverage of cancer management principles outlines a wide range of treatment and pharmacologic modalities, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormonal therapy, immunotherapy, and complementary and alternative therapies.
- Symptom management guidelines offer in-depth coverage of pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, assessment tools, lab and diagnostic tests, differential diagnoses, interventions, patient education, follow up care, and resources for over 30 common symptoms associated with cancer and cancer treatments.
- Essential information on many oncologic emergencies and emergent issues prepares readers to respond quickly to structural, metabolic, and hematologic emergencies.
- Section on palliative care and end-of-life issues offers helpful guidelines for dealing with topics related to survivorship, palliative care, the final hours of the cancer patient, and loss, grief, and bereavement.
- NEW! Updated evidence-based content reflects the latest national and international quality standards regarding various cancer types, major drug and non-drug treatments, treatment protocols, and approaches to symptom management.
- NEW! Nursing Practice Considerations section incorporates information on communication, cultural considerations, ethical considerations, safe and quality care, evidence-based practice, patient navigation, and patient education.
- NEW! 17 new chapters cover topics including myelofibrosis, neuroendocrine cancers, tumor treating fields, oral adherence, clinical trials, epistaxis, hypersensitivity reactions, hypertension, hyperglycemia, nail changes, ocular and visual changes, rashes, survivorship, quality and safety, evidence-based practice, nurse navigation, and patient education.
- NEW! Expanded content on patient education keeps readers on top of best practices in this critical area.
- NEW! High-quality electronic patient teaching handouts are evidence-based and have been vetted by practicing nurses.
Section One: INTRODUCTION Cancer Epidemiology Cancer Pathophysiology Cancer Genetics
Section Two: MAJOR CANCERS Breast Cancer Central Nervous System Cancers Gastrointestinal System Cancers Genitourinary Cancers Gynecologic Cancers Head and Neck Cancers Leukemias Lymphomas Lung Cancers Multiple Myeloma Myelofibrosis NEW! Neuroendocrine Cancers NEW! Sarcomas Skin Cancers
Section Three: PRINCIPLES OF CANCER MANAGEMENT Surgical Therapy Radiation Therapy Tumor Treating Fields NEW! Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Chemotherapy Immunotherapy Targeted Therapy Hormonal Therapy Oral Adherence NEW! Complementary and Alternative Therapies Clinical Trials NEW!
Section Four: PRINCIPLES OF SYMPTOM MANAGEMENT Alopecia Anorexia Anxiety Arthralgias and Myalgias Confusion Constipation Cough Depressed Mood Diarrhea Dizziness and Vertigo Dysphagia Dyspnea Epistaxis NEW! Esophagitis Fatigue Fever Flu-like Symptoms Hand-Foot Syndrome Headache Hiccups Hypersensitivity Reactions NEW! Hypertension NEW! Hyperglycemia NEW! Lymphedema Menopausal Symptoms Mucositis Nail Changes NEW! Nausea and Vomiting Ocular/Visual Changes NEW! Pain Peripheral Neuropathy Pleural Effusion Pruritus/Xerosis Rash NEW! Seizures Sexuality Alterations Sleep Disturbances Xerostomia
Section Five: ONCOLOGIC EMERGENCIES Structural Emergencies Urologic Emergencies Metabolic Emergencies Hematologic Emergencies
Section Six: PALLIATIVE CARE AND END-OF-LIFE ISSUES Survivorship NEW! Palliative Care Final Hours Loss, Grief, and Bereavement
Section Seven. NURSING PRACTICE CONSIDERATIONS NEW! Communication Cultural Considerations Ethical Considerations Quality and Safety NEW! Evidence-Based Practice NEW! Patient Navigation NEW! Patient Education NEW!
Susan Newton, MS, RN, AOCN, AOCNS, Vice President, Health Management Solutions, Quintiles, Dayton, OH, Margie Hickey, MSN, MS, RN, Senior Director, Novartis Oncology, East Hanover, New Jersey and Jeannine Brant, PhD, APRN, AOCN, Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist and Nurse Scientist, Billings Clinic, Billings, Montana