Introduction to Health Services Administration,
Guide your students through the roles and functions of a health services administrator in the ambulatory care setting with Elsevier’s Introduction to Health Services Administration. This comprehensive and easy-to-understand text includes an overview of health care delivery in the United States along with an exploration of each aspect of the workflow in an ambulatory care facility — from scheduling patients to managing the revenue cycle. In addition, students will be introduced to the use of an electronic health record system and practice management software, budgeting for staff and equipment, inventory management, risk management, quality and performance improvement, and practice marketing strategies. Legal and ethical competencies, including HIPAA, regulatory compliance, and civil and criminal law, are also included to round out students’ understanding. After using this text, students will come away knowing how to effectively manage both people and practice.
- UNIQUE! Comprehensive approach covers the role and functions of a health services administrator and applies them to an array of ambulatory care settings — from a traditional physician’s office to a retail care clinic.
- UNIQUE! Coverage of key PAHCOM and AAPC competencies help you prepare for the competencies on the CMM and CPPM credentialing exams.
- UNIQUE! Case study scenarios are constructed around many different settings to provide a snapshot of professional life.
- UNIQUE! Takeaway boxes highlight key points and important concepts.
- Current Trends in Health Care boxes discuss methods, ideas, and newsworthy issues.
- Take Learning to the Next Level boxes clarify the subjects being discussed with supplemental information.
- Learning Checkpoints appear in each section to help you gauge your own learning successes at that point in the reading.
- Review questions are tied to each learning objective.
- More than 200 images illustrate difficult concepts and bring health services administration to life.
- Key terms with definitions in the margins make it easy to identify and learn new vocabulary.
- Answers to exercises in the text and review questions in the back of the book equip you for self-study.
Unit I. Introduction to Health Services Administration 1 The Health Services Administrator 2 Health Care Professionals and Settings 13 Health Care Delivery
Unit II. Administrative Management 4 Health Care Processes and Workflow 5 Documentation 6 Technology 7 Managing Supplies and Inventory 8 Basic Finance and Health Care Accounting 9 The Revenue Cycle 210 Quality, Performance Improvement, and Risk Management
Unit III. Ethical and Legal Concerns 11 Legal Issues and Fraud in Health Care 12 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) 313 Compliance
Unit IV. Communication 14 Business Communication and Professionalism 415 Marketing
Unit V. People and Organizational Management 16 Hiring, Training, and Evaluating Employees 17 Leadership, Motivation and Conflict Management 518 Project Management
Textbook Answer Key Glossary Index