Core Curriculum for Maternal-Newborn Nursing – Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
AWHONN’s Core Curriculum for Maternal-Newborn Nursing, 5th Edition provides students with the most up-to-date, accurate information available on today’s maternal-newborn nursing practice. Its concise outline format covers concepts of reproduction, fetal development, normal pregnancy, intrapartum and postpartum periods, the normal newborn, complications in the mother and newborn, and ethical issues. With a fresh focus on patient safety and revised case studies, this clinical guide and certification prep tool features AWHONN-endorsed content for the practice of maternal-newborn nursing.
- AWHONN-endorsed content makes this the definitive resource in preparing for current practice and specialty nursing certification examinations.
- Coverage of the full scope of maternal-newborn nursing practice addresses topics, such as: families; ethics; legal issues; research, case management; genetics; and the transition to home and parenthood.
- Bulleted outline format allows for quick review and reference of key information on the management of pregnant women and their newborns through all stages of care.
- NEW! Focus on patient safety draws attention to developing competencies related to safe nursing practice.
- NEW! Content on medication safety, including high alert medications, emphasizes critical drug information that must be considered to provide safe patient care.
- UPDATED! Extensively revised case studies and review questions reflect the realities of practice and provide testing for certification examinations with realistic patient scenarios.
- EXPANDED! Updated content throughout gives you the most current practice guidelines to promote quality care.
Section I: Reproduction: Fetal and Placental Development
1. Reproductive Anatomy, Physiology, and the Menstrual Cycle
3. Fetal and Placental Development and Functioning
Section 2: Normal Pregnancy
4. Ethnocultural Considerations in the Childbearing Period
5. Physiology of Pregnancy
6. Psychology of Pregnancy
Section 3: Maternal-Fetal Wellbeing
7. Age-Related Concerns
8. Antepartum Fetal Assessment
9. Environmental Hazards
Section 4: Intrapartum Period
10. Essential Forces and Factors in Labor
11. Normal Childbirth
12. Intrapartum Fetal Assessment
Section 5: Postpartum Period
13. Physical and Psychologic Changes
Section 6: The Newborn
16. Transitional Care of the Newborn
17. The Newborn at Risk
Section 7: Complications of Childbearing
18. Intimate Partner Violence
19. Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy
20. Maternal Infections
21. Hemorrhagic Disorders
22. Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
23. Trauma and Surgery in Pregnancy
24. Substance Abuse in Pregnancy
25. Other Medical Complications
26. Labor and Delivery at Risk
27. Postpartum Complications
Section 8: Ethics and Issues