Foundations of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in Health Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Health care is a team effort, so why keep training for solo sprints? Introducing Foundations of Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in Health Care - a unique new textbook that will equip you to become an effective member of interprofessional healthcare teams. This completely new textbook is the first on the market to introduce the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC, 2011, 2016) Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and to provide practice in applying these competencies to everyday practice. Expertly written by an interprofessional team for a wide variety of health professions students, this textbook provides a solid foundation in the four Core Competencies: Values and Ethics for Interprofessional Practice, Roles and Responsibilities, Interprofessional Communication, and Teams and Teamwork. It then elaborates each Core Competency by defining and describing each Sub-Competency. With a variety of interactive Case Studies, Caselets, and Exemplar Case Studies, it then illustrates the contributions and interconnectedness of each provider’s role to demonstrate how Core Competencies would be applied and put into action for improved patient outcomes.
- UNIQUE! Three-part units each addressing one of the four IPEC Core Competencies to help you to understand the core competencies and learn how to apply them in your own profession.
- UNIQUE! Detailed explorations of each Sub-Competency for all four IPEC Core Competencies thoroughly present the essential elements of each Core Competency for deep understanding of how to collaborate with other professions.
- UNIQUE! Case Studies, "Caselets," and Exemplar Case Studies illustrate each competency and provide opportunities for you to apply your understanding of the material.
- A variety of Active Learning activities driven by core content are integrated into each chapter.
- UNIQUE! Global Perspectives boxes and additional international resources highlight the important work being done internationally in interprofessional education and interprofessional collaborative practice.
- Research Highlights help you to understand the reasoning and knowledge behind the Core Competencies.
- Learning Outcomes and Key Points outline and review the main takeaways from each chapter.
I. Introduction to Interprofessional Education and Interprofessional Collaborative Practice 1. History of IPE, IPCP, and the Core Competencies 2. Systems Theory: IPCP and Health Outcomes 3. Adopting the Frameworks of Wellness and Patient-Centered Care
II. Values and Ethics 4. Foundations of Values and Ethics 5. The Competencies of Values and Ethics 6. Values and Ethics Case Studies
III. Roles and Responsibilities 7. Foundations of Professional Roles 8. The Competencies of Roles and Responsibilities 9. Roles and Responsibilities Case Studies
IV. Interprofessional Communication 10. Foundations of Communication Theory 11. The Competencies of Interprofessional Communication 12. Interprofessional Communication Case Studies
V. Teams and Teamwork 13. Foundations of Group Functioning 14. The Competencies of Teams and Teamwork 15. Teams and Teamwork Case Studies
VI. Practicing Collaboratively 16. IPCP Case Studies
Appendix A. Roles & Education of Common Healthcare Professions and Related Careers Index
Margaret Slusser, PhD, RN, Associate Professor of Health Science, Founding Program Coordinator, B.S. in Health Science Program (BSHS), School of Health Sciences, Stockton University, Stockton, New Jersey, Luis I. Garcia, PhD, Assistant Professor of Health Science, School of Health Sciences, Stockton University, Stockton, New Jersey, Carole-Rae Reed, PhD, RN, APN-BC, Assistant Professor of Health Science, School of Health Sciences, Stockton University, Stockton, New Jersey and Patricia Quinn McGinnis, PT, MS, PhD, Professor of Physical Therapy, School of Health Sciences, Stockton University, Stockton, New Jersey