Student Workbook for Modern Dental Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 12th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Get the hands-on practice and reinforcement you need to master the concepts and skills covered in Modern Dental Assisting, 12th Edition. With chapters corresponding to the chapters in Bird & Robinson’s bestselling textbook, this workbook features ample review questions and exercises, competency skills evaluation sheets for practice with dental assisting procedures, and case applications with questions. Applicable chapters also contain a review of video procedures located on the text’s companion website, as well as original practice management exercises designed to be used with the Dentrix software that’s included with the workbook. In all, it’s the essential practice and review you need to succeed in clinical practice!
- Correlation with textbook chapters makes it easy to move back and forth between the two resources.
- Practice and review questions for each chapter include short answer, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and labeling questions to help reinforce your understanding of terminology and concepts.
- Competency skill checklists provide clear guidelines for performing each dental assisting skill and help you evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, with perforated pages so that you can detach individual skill sheets for use in clinical settings.
- Patient case exercises use patients on the companion Evolve website’s Interactive Dental Office and include medical and dental histories, radiographs, and charting to help you solve problems relating to patient health issues.
- Video review sections visually reinforce your understanding of text material and help prepare you for patient encounters.
- Removable flashcards summarize key information about the sciences, medical emergencies, infection control, radiography, dental materials, dental instruments, and dental procedures, offering convenient, on-the-go review and exam preparation.
- Trusted expert authors Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson present information and procedures in a way that makes it easy for you to understand and apply the material.
- NEW! Content matches that in the text, addressing new technology, public health and access to care, teledentistry, Zika virus, Ebola, infection control guidelines, the oral-systemic health connection, and more.
- NEW! Anatomy and tooth morphology labeling exercises help you master key foundational content essential to dental assisting practice.
- NEW! Additional Dentrix practice management exercises have been added to the Dentrix Learning Edition software, enabling you to work with patient data much like you will in the office environment.
- NEW! Additional content supporting the dental assisting externship provides information and resources to support practicum.
PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession 1. History of Dentistry 2. The Professional Dental Assistant 3. The Dental Healthcare Team 4. Dental Ethics 5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry 6. General Anatomy 7. General Physiology 8. Oral Embryology and Histology 9. Head and Neck Anatomy 10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity 11. Overview of the Dentitions 12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease 13. Dental Caries 14. Periodontal Disease 15. Preventive Dentistry 16. Nutrition 17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry 18. Microbiology 19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention 20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection 21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization
PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety 22. Regulatory and Advisory Agencies 23. Chemical and Waste Management 24. Dental Unit Waterlines 25. Ergonomics
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment 26. The Patient’s Dental Record 27. Vital Signs 28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning 29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient 30. Principles of Pharmacology 31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry 32. The Dental Office 33. Delivering Dental Care 34. Dental Hand Instruments 35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories 36. Moisture Control 37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging 38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety 39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film and Processing Radiographs 40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention 41. Intraoral Imaging 42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials 43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials 44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems 45. Dental Cements 46. Impression Materials 47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures
PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care 48. General Dentistry 49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry 50. Fixed Prosthodontics 51. Provisional Coverage 52. Removable Prosthodontics 53. Dental Implants 54. Endodontics 55. Periodontics 56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 57. Pediatric Dentistry 58. Coronal Polishing 59. Dental Sealants 60. Orthodontics
PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills 61. Communication in the Dental Office 62. Business Operating Systems 63. Financial Management in the Dental Office 64. Marketing Your Skills
Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Former Director, Dental Education Programs, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California; Former Director, Dental Assisting Program University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Former Research Associate, Department of Nutrition Gillings School of Global Public Health University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, North Carolina