McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Immerse yourself in every aspect of the veterinary technology field with McCurnin’s Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians, 9th Edition, covering small and large animals, birds, reptiles, and small mammals. With a new zoonoses theme threaded throughout each chapter, this comprehensive text describes how each disease affects the host, how it is spread, and how it is treated. Case presentations provide you with relevant, real-life scenarios so you can practice your critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Introduction to the concept of the Technician Practice Model ensures that excellent nursing care is provided to each patient.
- Content on fluid therapy and transfusion medicine keeps you current and prepared for success in practice.
- Thorough coverage of electrocardiography included in the Emergency Nursing chapter to teach you how to interpret, and how to examine and differentiate, normal from abnormal and dangerous from non-dangerous.
- Case presentations provide you with real-life scenarios so you can practice your critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Large animal care is integrated throughout the book with medical records, dentistry, physical examination, surgical instrumentation, surgical assistance, emergency care, and euthanasia, in addition to the individual Large Animal Medical Nsing chapter, to prepare you to care for large animals.
- A chapter dedicated to birds, reptiles, and small mammals keeps you up-to-date with care and treatment for these increasingly popular pets.
- Comprehensive chapters on pharmacology, pain management, restraint, and veterinary oncology offer a broader understanding of the responsibilities of a technician.
- Vet Tech Threads design emphasizes important study points and ensures you understand the content introduced to you.
- Step-by-step instructions and photographs show you how to perform dozens of procedures, and make information readily accessible in emergency and clinical situations.
- Evolve site with TEACH instructor resources, an image collection, and a test bank accompanies the text, and provides instructors with everything they need to successfully teach each chapter and evaluate students' progress.
- NEW! Chapter on Veterinary Oncology contains fundamental information on veterinary cancers and current therapies.
- NEW! Toxicology chapter provides an overview of toxic substances and treatments while helping you understand how to recognize, assess, and manage poison concerns.
- NEW! The theme of zoonotics is threaded throughout each chapter and emphasized appropriately to increase your understanding of how each disease affects the host, how it is spread, how it is treated, and the necessary safety precautions.
- NEW! A 2017 winner of the William Holmes McGuffey Longevity Award ("McGuffey") from the Text and Academic Authors Association (TAA). The "McGuffey" recognizes textbooks and learning materials whose excellence has been demonstrated over time.
Part One: Veterinary Technology: An Overview 1. Introduction to Veterinary Technology: Its Laws and Ethics Joanna M. Bassert, Teresa Lazo and Monica M. Tighe 2. Veterinary Practice Management Karen E. Felsted 3. Veterinary Medical Records Joanna M. Bassert 4. Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Hospitals Philip J. Seibert Jr.
Part Two: Patient Management and Nutrition 5. Animal Behavior Valarie V. Tynes 6. Restraint and Handling of Animals Barbara Dugan, Darren Remsburg, Karen Todd-Jenkins and Chris Montgomery 7. History and Physical Examination Mark Rondeau and George W. McCommon 8. Preventive Health Programs George W. McCommon and Anna Ellis 9. Companion Animal Nutrition Craig A. Datz and Allison Wara 10. Large Animal Nutrition Tanja M. Hess and Shawn L. Archibeque 11. Animal Reproduction Lenore Southam
Part Three: Clinical Sciences 12. Hematology, Cytology Maxey L. Wellman and M. Judith Radin 13. Clinical Chemistry, Serology and Urinalysis Maxey L. Wellman and M. Judith Radin 14. Parasitology Oreta Marie Samples and Charles M. Hendrix 15. Clinical Microbiology Sara D. Lawhon 16. Diagnostic Imaging Rachel McGinty 17. Basic Necropsy Procedures Michele D. Coarsey and Moges Woldemeskel
Part Four: Medical Nursing 18. Diagnostic Sampling and Treatment Techniques Oreta Marie Samples 19. Small Animal Medical Nursing David Liss 20. Large Animal Medical Nursing Amy Bentz and Laura H. Javsicas 21. Veterinary Oncology Beth Overley Adamson and Samantha Fritz Waibel 22. Neonatal Care of Puppy, Kitten, and Foal Amy Bentz and Margret L. Casal 23. Care of Birds, Reptiles and Small Mammals Lorelei Tibbetts 24. Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Alternative Medical Nursing Carolina Medina
Part Five: Emergency and Critical Care 25. Fluid Therapy and Transfusion Medicine Edward Cooper, Margaret Mudge, Courtney Beiter and Olivia M. Holt Williams 26. Emergency & Critical Care Nursing Andrew J. Niehaus, Ann M. Peruski, Jarred Williams, Michelle E. Goodnight and Darcy Brittain Adin 27. Toxicology Tina Wismer and MaryEllen Malysiak 28. Wound Management and Bandaging Bianca F. Hettlich, Jarred Williams, Andrew J. Niehaus and Harry James Markwell
Part Six: Anesthesia, Analgesia and Pharmacology 29. Pharmacology and Pharmacy Angela Beal and Katrina R. Viviano 30. Pain Management Nancy Shaffran and Tamara Grubb 31. Veterinary Anesthesia John A. Thomas
Part Seven: Surgical Nursing 32. Surgical instruments and Aseptic Technique George W. McCommon and Anna Ellis 33. Surgical Assistance and Suture Material Nanette Walker Smith 34. Small Animal Surgical Nursing Loretta J. Bubenik-Angapen 35. Large Animal Surgical Nursing Colin F. Mitchell 36. Veterinary Dentistry Bonnie Miller and John R. Lewis
Part Eight: End of Life 37. Geriatric and Hospice Care: Supporting the Aged and Dying Patient Amy Bentz and Karen Todd-Jenkins 38. The Human Animal Bond and Euthanasia Oreta Marie Samples
Joanna M. Bassert, VMD, Professor Emeritus
Program of Veterinary Technology