The Human Body in Health and Illness, 6th Edition
Break free from ordinary A&P with Herlihy! The Human Body in Health and Illness, 6th Edition uses hundreds of illustrations, colorful cartoons, and an easy-to-read writing style to simplify Anatomy & Physiology concepts. Organized by body system, this text provides clear, step-by-step explanations and clinical examples showing how each organ works. It also demonstrates what happens to the body when a system does not function properly. An Evolve companion website adds animations and other useful features to promote effective teaching and learning. With its fun, non-intimidating approach to A&P, this resource is ideal for students who are beginning a healthcare career.
- Full-color illustrations simplify difficult concepts and complex processes, accurately depicting anatomy, physiology, and disease.
- Colorful cartoons use humor to clarify and reinforce the content, making it more memorable, accessible, and easy to understand.
- Interesting analogies, examples, and anecdotes make learning easier and bring science to life.
- Key terms and objectives begin every chapter, setting learning expectations and goals, with terms defined in a comprehensive glossary.
- Useful learning and review features include Re-Think questions, Ramp It Up! and As You Age boxes, plus Did You Know boxes with clinical scenarios and historical vignettes.
- Focus on medical terminology includes Medical Terminology and Disorders tables with pronunciations, derivations, and word parts, along with references to commonly used medical terminology.
- Evolve companion website enhances your understanding with animations, learning activities, and review tools.
- A study guide offers fun and practical exercises to help you review, understand, and remember basic A&P. Sold separately.
- New animations bring difficult concepts to life.
- New illustrations show more step-by-step processes, and include new review questions to help you understand the concepts depicted.
- UPDATED content includes additional chapter review questions.
- NEW! More pronunciations and new med term activities are included.
1. Introduction to the Human Body
2. Basic Chemistry
4. Cell Metabolism
5. Microbiology Basics
6. Tissues and Membranes
7. Integumentary System and Body Temperature
8. Skeletal System
9. Muscular System
10. Nervous System: Nervous Tissue and Brain
11. Nervous System: Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerves
12. Autonomic Nervous System
13. Sensory System
14. Endocrine System
16. Anatomy of the Heart
17. Function of the Heart
18. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels
19. Functions of the Blood Vessels
20. Lymphatic System
21. Immune System
22. Respiratory System
23. Digestive System
24. Urinary System
25. Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
26. Reproductive Systems
27. Human Development and Heredity
Barbara Herlihy, PhD(Physiology), RN, Professor, University of the Incarnate Word, School of Nursing and Health Professions, San Antonio, TX