Women's Health in Primary Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Featuring a holistic, woman-centered focus and uniquely organized for consistency with the AWHONN/NPWH Guidelines for Practice and Education, this completely new textbook for Nurse Practitioners (NPs), Physician Assistants (PAs), and other primary care practitioners responsible for women’s health provides a strong, evidence-based clinical foundation for primary care of women. Coverage includes foundational concepts in women’s health, well-woman care throughout the lifespan, and primary care management of common conditions affecting women.
- UNIQUE! Holistic, woman-centered approach to women's health for primary care addresses the full breadth of foundational women's health content for primary care, including foundational concepts, well-woman care throughout the lifespan, and primary care management of common conditions affecting women.
- UNIQUE! Evidence-based content, organized by the latest AWHONN/NPWH and national well-woman guidelines, features a rigorous basis in the latest research and national and international clinical guidelines for women's health.
- Strong emphasis on patient diversity, interprofessional collaboration, and clinical integration examines LGBTQ+ issues, global health, underserved populations, and coordination of care across a continuum of services, including preventive, outpatient, inpatient acute hospital care, and post-acute care, including skilled nursing, rehabilitation, home health services, and palliative care.
- Key Points at the end of each chapter summarize take-home points.
- Not to Be Missed boxes call attention to "red flags" that should not be missed (e.g., signs of human trafficking, breast lumps, low back pain in pregnancy, and the need for HIV counseling/testing).
- Patient-Centered Care boxes demonstrate how to tailor care to patients in special populations or situations, such as LGBTQ+ clients, those with disabilities, older women, military veterans, people of various racial and ethnic groups, religious/cultural variations, etc.
- Safety Alert boxes call attention to special precautions to protect patients and ensure their safety.
- Clinical Survival Tip boxes cover topics that you need to know when immersed into a clinical setting.
- Full-color design and illustrations facilitate learning.
Section 1: Foundational Concepts in Women’s Health
1. A Clinically Integrated Approach to Women’s Health Care
2. Female Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
3. Adolescent Women’s Health
4. Older Women’s Health
Section 2: Well-Woman Care Throughout the Lifespan
5. The Well-Woman Visit
6. Care Before and Between Pregnancies
8. Postpartum and Lactation Care
10. Reproductive Options Counseling
11. Sexual Health Assessment
12. LGBTQ Health Assessment
13. Menopause in the Primary Care Setting
14. Mental-Behavioral Health Screening for Women
Section 3: Common Conditions Affecting Woman
15. Vaginitis, Sexually Transmitted Infections, and HIV
16. Menstrual Disorders
17. Vulvar Dermatology and Conditions of the Vulva
18. Pelvic Pain
19. Managing Musculoskeletal Problems
20. Reproductive Cancers
21. Breast Health
22. Urinary Tract Problems
23. Cervical Problems
Appendix: Exposure to Violence
Lisa Ferguson, DNP, APRN, WHNP-BC, CNE, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner, Ocala, Florida; Formerly, Assistant Clinical Professor, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, Susan M. Kendig, JD, MSN, RN, WHNP-BC, FAANP, Sarah B. Freeman, PhD, ARNP, FAANP and Kelly Ellington, DNP, APRN, WHNP-BC, RNC-OB