Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual and E-Labs, 10th Edition
Using an approach that is geared toward developing solid, logical habits in dissection and identification, the Laboratory Manual for Anatomy & Physiology, 10th Edition presents 55 lab exercises in a convenient modular format, giving you the flexibility to tailor your course accordingly. The exercises include labeling of anatomy, dissection of anatomic models and fresh or preserved specimens, physiological experiments, and computerized experiments. This practical, full-color manual also features safety tips, a comprehensive instruction and preparation guide for the laboratory, and tear-out worksheets for each exercise. Updated lab tests align with what is currently in use in today’s lab setting, and brand new histology, dissection, and procedures photos enrich learning. Enhance your students’ laboratory skills in an interactive digital environment with eight simulated lab experiences — eLabs.
- Eight interactive eLabs further your laboratory experience in an interactive digital environment.
- Labeling exercises provide opportunities to identify critical structures examined in the lab and lectures; and coloring exercises offer a kinesthetic experience useful in retention of content.
- User-friendly spiral binding allows for hands-free viewing in the lab setting.
- Step-by-step dissection instructions with accompanying illustrations and photos cover anatomical models and fresh or preserved specimens — and provide needed guidance during dissection labs. The dissection of tissues, organs, and entire organisms clarifies anatomical and functional relationships.
- 250 illustrations, including common histology slides and depictions of proper procedures, accentuate the lab manual’s usefulness by providing clear visuals and guidance.
- Easy-to-evaluate, tear-out Lab Reports contain checklists, drawing exercises, and questions that help you demonstrate your understanding of the labs you have participated in. They also allow instructors to efficiently check student progress or assign grades.
- Learning objectives presented at the beginning of each exercise offer a straightforward framework for learning.
- Content and concept review questions throughout the manual provide tools for you to reinforce and apply knowledge of anatomy and function.
- Complete lists of materials for each exercise give you and your instructor a thorough checklist for planning and setting up laboratory activities, allowing for easy and efficient preparation.
- Modern anatomical imaging techniques, such as computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and ultrasonography, are introduced where appropriate to give future health professionals a taste for — and awareness of — how new technologies are changing and shaping health care.
- Boxed hints throughout provide you with special tips on handling specimens, using equipment, and managing lab activities.
- Evolve site includes activities and features for students, as well as resources for instructors.
- NEW! Brand new histology, dissection and procedures photos enrich learning.
- UPDATED and NEW! Updated lab tests align with what is currently in use in today’s lab environment.
- UPDATED! All chapters thoroughly revised to cover the latest anatomy and physiology lab exercises.
- NEW! Improved formatting for easier use. Larger spaces allow for writing information and coloring, and better layout of pages facilitates lay-flat use in the lab.
WELCOME TO THE ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY LABORATORY • The Scientific Method • Measurement and Data Collection • How to Dissect • Using this Manual • Safety First! • How to Study for Lab Quizzes
THE BASICS 1. Organization of the body 2. Dissection: The whole body 3. The Microscope 4. Cell Anatomy 5. Transport through Cell Membranes 6. The Cell's Life Cycle 7. Epithelial Tissue 8. Connective Tissue 9. Muscle and Nerve Tissue
SUPPORT AND MOVEMENT 10. The Skin 11. Overview of the Skeleton 12. The Skull 13. The Vertebral Column and Thoracic Cage 14. The Upper Extremities 15. The Lower Extremities 16. Joints 17. Organization of the Muscular System 18. Skeletal Muscle Identification 19. Dissection: Skeletal Muscles 20. Skeletal Muscle Contractions
INTEGRATION AND CONTROL 21. Nerve Tissue 22. Nerve Reflexes 23. The Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves 24. The Brain and Cranial Nerves 25. The Dissection: The Brain 26. Somatic Senses 27. Senses of Taste and Smell 28. The Ear 29. Hearing and Equilibrium 30. The Eye 31. Visual Function 32. Endocrine Glands 33. Hormones
REGULATION AND MAINTENANCE 34. Blood 35. Structure of the Heart 36. Electrical Activity of the Heart 37. The Pulse and Blood Pressure 38. The Circulatory Pathway 39. The Lymphatic System 40. Dissection: Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 41. Respiratory Structures 42. Dissection: Respiratory System 43. Pulmonary Volumes and Capacities 44. Digestive Structures 45. Dissection: Digestive System 46. Enzymes and Digestion 47. Urinary Structures 48. Dissection: Urinary System 49. Urinalysis
REPRODUCTION 50. The Male Reproductive System 51. The Female Reproductive System 52. Dissection: Reproductive Systems 53. Development 54. Genetics and Heredity
SYNTHESIS 55. The Whole Body
LAB REPORT SUPPLEMENT
Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Life Sciences,St. Charles Community College Cottleville, MO Professor of Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction (HAPI adjunct) Northeast College of Health Sciences Seneca Falls, NY