Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology, 9th Edition
Emphasizing safe and effective drug administration, Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology, 9th Edition helps you understand the principles of pharmacology to avoid making medication errors. It promotes safety by showing how drugs and drug classes work, so you can understand why drugs are given, as well as the adverse effects and drug interactions that may occur. This new edition includes Lifespan Considerations which explain important alerts you need to be aware of when administering drugs to pediatric and geriatric patients. The 9th edition also includes a nursing process section which outlines each drug class along with the nurse’s role during administration. Written by a new team of nationally known nursing educators, this text provides just the right scope of nursing pharmacology content for most LPN/LVN programs.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight important nursing considerations for safe medication administration and monitoring.
- Lifespan Considerations boxes for Children and Older Adults draw attention to information that would be especially important when giving a specific drug to patients of those age groups.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section includes Key Points, Review Questions, and Case Studies with Critical Thinking Questions to prepare you for pharmacology questions on the NCLEX-PN Exam.
- Video clips on medication administration procedures provide you with a visual reference for safe medication administration.
- Ideal scope of content and readability for LPN/LVN programs includes basic, need-to-know pharmacology content.
- A focus on understanding drug classes rather than memorizing individual drugs helps you understand the actions and uses of drug classes and provides a framework for safe, effective practice as new drugs are introduced to the market.
- Key content is highlighted, as in all of Elsevier’s LPN Threads textbooks, with features such as Top Tips for Safety, Memory Joggers, and Lifespan Considerations boxes.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations and text page references help improve terminology and language skills before you enter clinical practice.
- NEW! Chapter on Eye and Ear Medications focuses on important glaucoma treatments.
- NEW! Dosage ranges added to drug tables reinforce safe medication administration
- NEW! Top tips for safety and clinical care provide you with advice from practicing nurses in applicable situations.
- NEW! Expanded content on cultural considerations help you think about ethnic differences that may relate to each drug class.
- NEW! Drug and IV calculation questions test your knowledge of dosages and calculations.
Unit I: General Principles
1. Pharmacology and the Nursing Process in LPN Practice 2. Legal, Regulatory, and Ethical Aspects of Drug Administration 3. Principles of Pharmacology
Unit II: Principle of Drug Administration
4. Drug Calculation: Preparing and Giving Drugs
Unit III: Drug Categories
5. Anti-infective Drugs: Antibiotics, Antitubercular Drugs, Antifungals, Antiparasitics 6. Antivirals and Antiretrovirals 7. Drugs for Allergy and Respiratory Problems 8. Drugs Affecting the Renal/Urinary and Cardiovascular Systems 9. Drugs Affecting the Central Nervous System 10. Drugs Affecting the Peripheral Nervous System 11. Drugs for Pain Management 12. Anti-inflammatory, Anti-arthritis, and Antigout Drugs 13. Drugs for Gastrointestinal Problems 14. Drugs Affecting the Hematologic System 15. Immunomodulating Drugs 16. Drugs Affecting the Endocrine System 17. Drugs for Diabetes Management 18. Drugs for Ear and Eye Problems 19. Over-the-Counter Drugs, Herbal and Alternative Drugs, and Vitamins and Minerals
Constance G Visovsky, PhD, RN, ACNP-BC, Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs & Partnerships, Director of Diversity, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, Cheryl H Zambroski, PhD, RN, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida and Shirley Hosler, RN, BSN, MSN, Adjunct Faculty, Santa Fe Community College, Santa Fe, New Mexico